What is the relationship between FS and HFS in the 3s3p Configuration?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Henk
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
I'm having some problems with the Fine and Hyperfine splitting (FS and HFS). For example the 3s3p Configuration, I understand the FS:
*****************************_______Mj=1
************1P________J=1*****_______ Mj=0
*****************************_______ Mj=-1
*
*
************3P______ Is split into J=0,1,2 and they are split into the Mj levels
*
*
3s3p_____

But where then is the HFS. I understand that I and J couple to F and that gives MF-levels but I don't know where to put in the picture above.

edit: the picture isn't very clear, sorry had to add some stars.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Henk said:
I'm having some problems with the Fine and Hyperfine splitting (FS and HFS). For example the 3s3p Configuration, I understand the FS:
*****************************_______Mj=1
************1P________J=1*****_______ Mj=0
*****************************_______ Mj=-1
*
*
************3P______ Is split into J=0,1,2 and they are split into the Mj levels
*
*
3s3p_____

But where then is the HFS. I understand that I and J couple to F and that gives MF-levels but I don't know where to put in the picture above.

edit: the picture isn't very clear, sorry had to add some stars.
What is the degeneracy of the Mj levels in the absense of the HFS ?

Perhaps, I should ask this first : Do you know where to put the hyperfine levels for the 1s orbital ?
 
For the 1s Orbital: L=0, S=1/2 thus J=1/2. That means the level has FS for J = 1/2 and J = -1/2. I don't know I so I can't give the F values however I suppose that the J-levels are splitted into the F-levels. And that if there is an external magnetic field (weak) the F-levels are splitted into 2F+1 Mf levels. Is this correct?