What is the relationship between sup of unbounded sets in real numbers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter v.rad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sets
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
v.rad
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
1. sup (empty set) = -infinity, and if V is not bounded above, then sup V = +infinity. Prove if V[tex]\subseteq[/tex]W[tex]\subseteq[/tex]Real Numbers then sup V is lessthan/equalto supW




3. I used a proof by contrapositive, but I'm not sure if it is completely valid...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming that these are intevals. You know that the lemma is clear if V=W, don't you? So assume that
[tex] V\subset W<br /> [\tex]<br /> So there is an element w in W which is not an element of V, examine |w-sup(V)|.[/tex]
 
No reason to assume these are intervals.

Yes, the contrapositive is the way to go. Suppose sup(W)> sup(V). Then there exist x such that sup(V)< x< sup(W). From that it follows that there exist a member of W larger than x and so larger than any member of V, a contradiction.