byerly100
- 16
- 0
c) What is the relative velocity of the two reference frames?
Last edited:
Maybe just try part a) again, but make sure you account for the total energy and the momentum in both frames.byerly100 said:A particle as observed in a certain reference frame has a total energy of 5 GeV and a momentum of 3 GeV/c (i.e., cp, which has the dimension of energy, is equal to 3 GeV).
a) What is its energy in a frame in which its momentum is equal to 4 GeV/c^2?
b) What is its rest mass in amu?
c) What is the relative velocity of the two reference frames?
I tried using E^2-(cp)^2=(E.)^2 but got 5.83 GeV. The answer to a is 5.66 GeV.
1 amu=931.49 MeV/c^2
The answer to b is 4.3 amu.
The answer to c is 0.187c.
byerly100 said:I probably didn't account for both frames. How did you use the 4 GeV/c?
Check your original post for conversion from MeV/c^2 to amubyerly100 said:It is (m.c^2)^2.
4 GeV= (m.c^2)
4.44x10^-8 kg(?)=m.
1 amu = 1.66x10^-27 kg
You left out parentheses in your numerator, but I expect you used them. You just have a sign problem. You know the velocity of the object in two frames. You are looking for the relativistic difference between the two. Try replacing the + in your equation with -byerly100 said:v= c^2p/E
ux=ux'+v/(1+vux'/c^2)
I got something for part c but it was off (wrong).