1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field in different frames of reference

1. Jun 27, 2017 #1
    I study electromagnetism and I got to the chapter about special relativity, in this chapter my professor (since we are not using the electromagnetic tensor in this course) used a specific case to show that the electric field parallel to the velocity of a frame of reference stay the same in both the original frame and the moving frame.

However when I look at the given situation of a point charge +q moving in the x axis with velocity v, relative to a frame called S, and I calculate the electric field in both the S frame and in the point charge frame (S'), I get different values for the electric field in each frame.

Say the particle cross the origin of the S frame at t=0 at the S frame, and at t'=0 in his frame, and we want to calculate the field he generates at (x,0,0) (coordinates of S), what I have done is:
    In the S frame I used the regular equation of the electric field of a point charge E=q/x^2 and in the S' frame I also used this equation E'=q/x'^2 and used lorentz transformation and got E'=q/(γ*x)^2.
    Other students told me I should have got q/(γ*x)^2 in both frames and from some reason I cant calculate the electric field of the charge in the frame he moving in using E=q/r^2, but I dont know why.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2017 #2
    aperture science we do what we must because we can.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted