What is the relativistic equation for finding kinetic energy?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
Ralphonsicus
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
Let's say, I wanted to find the kinetic energy of a ball traveling at 99% the speed of light, what is the equation used for that calculation?

And also, do photons have kinetic energy?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ralphonsicus said:
Let's say, I wanted to find the kinetic energy of a ball traveling at 99% the speed of light, what is the equation used for that calculation?

And also, do photons have kinetic energy?

Thanks.

The formula for a particle of mass m has a kinetic energy is given by [itex](\gamma - 1)mc^2[/itex] where [itex]\gamma = {{1}\over{\sqrt{1-{{v^2}\over{c^2}}}}}[/itex] where c is the speed of light.

The energy of a photon with frequency [itex]f[/itex] is [itex]E_{photon} = hf[/itex] where h is Planck's constant.
 
Ralphonsicus said:
Let's say, I wanted to find the kinetic energy of a ball traveling at 99% the speed of light, what is the equation used for that calculation?
Here you go :wink: http://bit.ly/xZN1YS
Ralphonsicus said:
And also, do photons have kinetic energy?
I don't think so because they are massless.
 
I missed the question about photons. What Pengwino says is correct, but (and we simul-posted, else I wouldn't have bothered) adding a little more, and disagreeing with Ryan_m_b:

Since a photon is massless it has no rest energy. Therefore all of its energy is kinetic. For a massive particle, you can say the frame dependent energy has a minimum - the rest energy; the frame dependent additional energy is kinetic. For a photon, there is no minimum - you can redshift to arbitrarily close to zero energy by choice of frame, consistent with its having no rest energy and all kinetic energy.
 
PAllen said:
disagreeing with Ryan_m_b...Since a photon is massless it has no rest energy. Therefore all of its energy is kinetic
I tried to make it clear I wasn't sure :smile: good to learn though, cheers.
 
The relativistic energy-momentum relation reads

[tex]E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + p^2c^2[/tex]

From this equation the kinetic energy can be determined directly

[tex]E_\text{kin} = E - mc^2 = \sqrt{(mc^2)^2 + p^2c^2} - mc^2[/tex]

For photons we have m=0 and therefore

[tex]E_\text{kin} = E = pc[/tex]

For m>0 one gets the equations with v<c mentioned above, of course