Solving Relativistic Inelastic Collisions: 150 GeV Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about determining the kinetic energy needed for two protons to collide and form a composite particle with a certain energy. The conversation includes different formulas and a mistake made by one of the participants. The correct formula is identified and the discussion also touches on the rest energy of the composite particle in different scenarios.
Eirik
Hi! Hope I'm posting this in the right place! I'm practicing for exams and came over this question:

A proton with mass ##m_p## is accelerated to a relativistic velocity, with kinetic energy ##K##. It collides completely inelastic with another proton, which has the same kinetic energy, ##K##, and velocity in the opposite direction. How big does K have to be, in order for the composite particle to have energy equal to 150 GeV?

Intuitively I would use conservation of energy to solve this, which gives me:
##E=2(K+mc^2)##
This gives me K=75GeV.

However, I found a formula for essentially the exact same problem in my physics book, which states that:
##E=2mc^2(1+\frac{K}{mc^2})##
Which gives me about K=74.1 GeV.

The last formula should be the right one, but I don't really see how, as both protons have kinetic energy, ##K##.. Any input?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suddenly realized I forgot to account for the fact that kinetic energy isn't conserved in inelastic collisions.. 🤦‍♂️ That probably has something to do with it doesn't it

Eirik said:
I suddenly realized I forgot to account for the fact that kinetic energy isn't conserved in inelastic collisions.. 🤦‍♂️ That probably has something to do with it doesn't it
The answer is simpler than that! Are the two answers really so different?

PeroK said:
The answer is simpler than that! Are the two answers really so different?
I must've typed something wrong into my calculator the first time I tried to solve it haha! It's the same equation. Hope I don't make mistakes as dumb as this one during my exam tomorrow:blushing:. Thanks!

Likes PeroK
@PeroK Is it okay if I ask another question on the same topic?

If the other proton had been at rest, is it true that
##E=K+mc^2+mc^2=2mc^2(1+\frac{K}{2mc^2})##

My physics book seems to think it's
##E=2mc^2*\sqrt{1+\frac{K}{2mc^2}}##:oldconfused:

Eirik said:
@PeroK Is it okay if I ask another question on the same topic?

If the other proton had been at rest, is it true that
##E=K+mc^2+mc^2=2mc^2(1+\frac{K}{2mc^2})##

My physics book seems to think it's
##E=2mc^2*\sqrt{1+\frac{K}{2mc^2}}##:oldconfused:
If the second proton is at rest, then the system has non-zero momentum, which is conserved. If you are looking for the total energy of the resultant particle after the collision, then that's just conservation of energy. But, if you are looking for the rest mass of the resultant particle, then that will be less than the total energy - as the resultant particle has some KE.

PeroK said:
If the second proton is at rest, then the system has non-zero momentum, which is conserved. If you are looking for the total energy of the resultant particle after the collision, then that's just conservation of energy. But, if you are looking for the rest mass of the resultant particle, then that will be less than the total energy - as the resultant particle has some KE.
That's what I thought. Looks like it's just a mistake in the textbook then, as they were referencing the total energy of the composite particle. Thanks again:)

Eirik said:
That's what I thought. Looks like it's just a mistake in the textbook then, as they were referencing the total energy of the composite particle. Thanks again:)
Yes, that is the formula for ##Mc^2##, where ##M## is the mass of the composite particle.

Likes Eirik
Eirik said:
Are you sure? If they meant that the total rest energy of the composite particle, then the textbook formulas would be correct for both cases. The key is that for the first case, when total momentum of the system is zero, the total energy is available for result particle rest energy. In the second case, very little of the total energy is available for result rest energy due to conservation of momentum. Their formula for the second case is exactly the maximum rest energy of the composite result particle.

1. What is a relativistic inelastic collision?

A relativistic inelastic collision is a type of collision between particles that involves a transfer of energy and momentum, resulting in a change in the particles' velocities and a loss of kinetic energy. This type of collision occurs at high speeds, close to the speed of light, and is described by the theory of relativity.

2. What is the energy of a 150 GeV collision?

150 GeV (gigaelectronvolt) is a unit of energy commonly used in particle physics to measure the energy of particles or collisions. It is equivalent to approximately 2.4 x 10^-8 joules, which is a very high energy level that can only be achieved in high-energy particle accelerators.

3. How do you solve for the outcome of a relativistic inelastic collision?

The outcome of a relativistic inelastic collision can be solved using the principles of conservation of energy and momentum. This involves calculating the initial and final energy and momentum of the particles involved, and using these values to determine the change in kinetic energy and velocities of the particles after the collision.

4. What factors affect the outcome of a 150 GeV inelastic collision?

The outcome of a 150 GeV inelastic collision can be affected by various factors, such as the masses and velocities of the particles involved, the angle of collision, and the type of particles (e.g. electrons, protons, etc.). The energy and momentum of the particles before and after the collision also play a significant role in determining the outcome.

5. What is the significance of studying relativistic inelastic collisions at 150 GeV energy?

Studying relativistic inelastic collisions at 150 GeV energy allows scientists to understand the behavior and properties of subatomic particles at extremely high energies. This can provide insights into the fundamental laws of nature and help us better understand the structure of matter and the universe as a whole.