What is the required force to lift a suitcase 0.75 meters?

  • Thread starter Thread starter devinechels
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Power Short Work
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
devinechels
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Okay, I am really curious as to how you solve this question, I can't seem to figure it out. I am sure most of you will think it's a piece of cake, but I'm not a physics person at all :p

If the suitcase was lifted 0.75 meters, how much force was required? (Hint: Use the equation for "work")

But see, the equation for work is Work= force x distance...and so there is not enough information? I don't know, I just can't wrap my head around this one, I have been thinking about it for awhile, and now it's really bothering me. That would make my day if someone knew how to do it, thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh wow, I feel dumb. It was a continuation of another question >.< so sorry. Okay, so the first question was "15 J/s of power were needed to lift a suitcase into the trunk of a car in 2.8 seconds. How much work was done?" for that, I got 5.4 J because 15 J/s divided by 2.8s which is W= p divided by t. So now, do I need to do F= w/d? :blushing:
 
The second question can be solved without referring to the first.
Work Done = Change in Gravitational Potential Energy
Work Done = F*s
This two equation should be sufficient enough...