What is the Ring Generated by R-Linear Combinations of These Matrices?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter plxmny
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
plxmny
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
This set of four matrices:

1 0 | 0 1 | -1 0 | 0 1
0 1 | 1 0 | 0 1 | -1 0

are closed under multiplication. What is it called? I know that it is not
those silly quaternions
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, NateTG, for taking the time to respond. That is what I thought until I realized that it had to be a RING for closure. So then I thought I would like to know the NAME of it, at least.
 
If it's a ring, where's zero, and what are the addition and multiplication operations?
 
NateTG,

0 is just

0 0
0 0

and + is just matrix addition and x is just matrix multiplication.

I found some stupid wikipedia thing where these 4 were given names like
K0 K1 K2 K3 but no references were given so that was a dead end.

I'm at work so I can't look it up in my books.
 
Your set is not closed under addition, and thus not a ring.
 
repeat after me ... "I don't know" ... all together now ... "I don't know"...
 
So, you mean the ring *generated* by those four elements?
 
plxmny said:
repeat after me ... "I don't know" ... all together now ... "I don't know"...

I don't know... what you're trying to say, or what your question is if you have one.
 
... but name is not so important ... as long as you don't intend to lookup an index ...
 
he means multiplication group of course instead of ring
 
The last one squared isn't a member of the group. if it was
0 -1
-1 0

then you'd have the klein 4 group (well, isomorphic to it)
 
1) it isn't a ring
2) it isn't closed under multiplication.
3) assuming you really mean 'what is the ring generated by R-linear combinations of these elements' (and that you're operating over R), those elements generate all od M_2(R) the 2x2 matrix ring