What is the salary of neurosurgeons?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Englishman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Salary
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 65K views
Englishman said:
How come you can't do that with a physics degree?

I would explain if it weren't for this tongue stuck in my cheek.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Englishman said:
How come you can't do that with a physics degree?



Sarcasm is hard to detect in text form ;).
 
sciencegal said:
yeah but it takes lots of years of experience to get into the millions

Well, it takes 11 years post-undergrad, and about $150,000+ of debt just to become a neurosurgeon.

And although there may be phsyicians out there making millions, this will not be possible for much longer, at least not by practicing medicine alone. Physician salaries will come down to (what some would say) more reasonable levels. A more "socialistic" healthcare system (which America is moving towards) may help a lot of people, but physicians aren't one of them.
 
gatorphys said:
Well, it takes 11 years post-undergrad, and about $150,000+ of debt just to become a neurosurgeon.

And although there may be phsyicians out there making millions, this will not be possible for much longer, at least not by practicing medicine alone. Physician salaries will come down to (what some would say) more reasonable levels. A more "socialistic" healthcare system (which America is moving towards) may help a lot of people, but physicians aren't one of them.

even if salaries drop, physicians should be doing their jobs because they love it...not for the money!
 
sciencegal said:
even if salaries drop, physicians should be doing their jobs because they love it...not for the money!


Ideally yeah, but realistically, a lot of people entered medicine for the money. These are the people who, now that their incomes are dropping, are dissatisfied with their careers choices. Although I think nowadays, less and less people are entering medicine solely for the money.
 
well i want to be a neurosurgeon bcuz i really enjoy neuroscience and surgery from the age of 4. i have done many science fair projects that made it to the international level and also my cousin just recently graduated frm college to be a neurosurgeon. His starting salry is around $300000 and he will receive pay raises and benefits. I think medicine is an excellent field to go into and I don't believe neurosurgeon pay will get cut that much. currently in the city where I live there is a neurosurgery position for $500,000 the requirements is board certification and a degree so that a great starting salary. I'm seeking that job hopefully its still there when i graduate.While I am in college for 5 to 7 year your salary will be around $45K to $60K. I also have an uncle who is neurosurgeon and he makes about $850000 a year. he said it took him about 6 years to pay off all his debt but he was still happen to offord a nice home in the gated community he lives in now
MEDICINE IS THE CAREER FIELD TO GO INTO