What is the shortest path a fly can take in a room with given dimensions?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a fly moving around a room with given dimensions. The first question asks for the magnitude of the fly's displacement, while the second question asks for the shortest path the fly can take if it walks instead of flies. The hint suggests using the Pythagorean theorem in 3D to solve for the box diagonal, and the conversation ends with a reminder to not rely on being spoon-fed information in college.
EngnrMatt

Homework Statement

A room has dimensions 2.59 m (height) × 5.81 m × 6.09 m. A fly starting at one corner flies around, ending up at the diagonally opposite corner. (a) What is the magnitude of its displacement? (b) If the fly walks rather than flies, what is the length of the shortest path it can take? (Hint: This can be answered without calculus. The room is like a box. Unfold its walls to flatten them into a plane.)

Homework Equations

I'm thinking c=ab*sin([itex]\phi[/itex]) has something to do with it (cross product)

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the hint, but honestly I tried it several different ways before giving up. I have an absolutely terrible physics professor and even worse, the book is just as bad at explaining (Halliday and Resnick). I think that this has something to do with cross products of vectors though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the Pythagorean theorem in 3d to compute the box diagonal for the displacement.

For the other you have to try some paths like diagonally across the floor the up the wall or diagonally across a wall... There are a lot of possible walking paths.

Thanks, I didn't realize that pythagorean theorem worked in 3D. Just an example of one of those things that both my professor and the book fail to mention.

Your math professor should have told you about Pythagoras in 3D.

EngnrMatt said:
Thanks, I didn't realize that pythagorean theorem worked in 3D. Just an example of one of those things that both my professor and the book fail to mention.
It's pretty easy to reason it out on your own. You should get used to the fact you're not going to be spoon-fed everything in college. Playing the victim card and blaming the book and professor for your difficulties is a sure-fire way to fail.

What is vector homework?

Vector homework is a type of assignment given to students in science or math classes that involves working with vectors, which are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

Why is vector homework important?

Vector homework is important because it helps students develop skills in understanding and applying vector concepts, which are fundamental to many fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

What are some common difficulties students face with vector homework?

Some common difficulties students face with vector homework include understanding vector notation, visualizing vectors in 3D space, and applying vector operations correctly.

How can I improve my performance on vector homework?

To improve your performance on vector homework, it is important to review the basic principles of vectors, practice solving problems, and seek help from your teacher or classmates if you are struggling with specific concepts.

What resources are available to help me with vector homework?

There are many online resources available to help you with vector homework, such as tutorial videos, practice problems, and interactive tools. Your teacher may also provide additional resources or offer extra help sessions outside of class.