How Can I Calculate the Displacement and Path Length of a Fly in a 3D Room?

• Thread starter maxalador
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Vector
In summary, for this conversation about summer homework, the teacher assigned new material including a problem about a fly flying around a room with dimensions 3.00 m x 3.70 m x 4.30 m. The task is to find the magnitude of its displacement, determine if the length of the path could be less, equal, or greater than this magnitude, express the displacement vector in unit vector notation, and find the shortest possible path if the fly walks along the walls. The solution involves using the Pythagorean theorem in three dimensions.
maxalador
This is my summer homework and my teacher gave us some new stuff to learn.

Homework Statement

1. A room has dimensions 3.00 m x 3.70 m x 4.30 m. A fly starting at one corner flies around, ending up at the diagonally opposite corner.
a) What is the magnitude of its displacement?
b) Could the length of the path be less than this magnitude? Greater? Equal?
c) Express the components of the displacement vector in unit vector notation.
d) If the fly walks along the walls (not necessarily along the edges), what is the length of the shortest possible path? Hint: It will help if you unfold the walls of the “box” and flatten them into a 2D plane

Homework Equations

(i-j-k)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that i have to put it into (3i-3.7j-4.3k), but I don't know what I have to do next

Physics news on Phys.org
for a) Think of Pythagorean theorem in three dimension.

thanks a ton

1. What is a 3D vector?

A 3D vector is a mathematical representation of a point or direction in three-dimensional space. It is usually represented as an ordered triple (x, y, z) where x, y, and z are the coordinates of the point or the components of the direction.

2. How do you add or subtract 3D vectors?

To add or subtract 3D vectors, you simply add or subtract the corresponding components of the vectors. For example, to add two vectors (x1, y1, z1) and (x2, y2, z2), you would add x1 with x2, y1 with y2, and z1 with z2 to get the resulting vector (x1+x2, y1+y2, z1+z2).

3. How do you calculate the magnitude of a 3D vector?

The magnitude of a 3D vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. It is the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. So, for a vector (x, y, z), the magnitude would be √(x^2 + y^2 + z^2).

4. What is the dot product of two 3D vectors?

The dot product of two 3D vectors is a scalar value that represents the projection of one vector onto the other. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then summing them up. So, for two vectors (x1, y1, z1) and (x2, y2, z2), the dot product would be x1*x2 + y1*y2 + z1*z2.

5. What is the cross product of two 3D vectors?

The cross product of two 3D vectors is a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix consisting of the unit vectors (i, j, k) and the two vectors being crossed. So, for two vectors (x1, y1, z1) and (x2, y2, z2), the cross product would be (y1*z2 - z1*y2)i + (z1*x2 - x1*z2)j + (x1*y2 - y1*x2)k.