What is the smudge on Joe Biden's forehead?

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I saw him on camera today and wondered why someone didn't tell him that it looked like he had a third eye. Then I remembered...

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I saw him on camera today and wondered why someone didn't tell him that it looked like he had a third eye. Then I remembered...
:rofl:

I remember seeing the same marks on the foreheads of a (large) family in the grocery store a few years back...and wondering, what the...?

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm not following you...

...no, I don't get it.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Remember, O man, that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return.

Whatcha giving up for Lent, Chi?

LowlyPion

Homework Helper
It sure is the Lent season at the Treasury.

Except I worry that a good part of it won't be repaid.

turbo

Gold Member
I'm not following you...

...no, I don't get it.
Biden is Catholic and the faithful get "annointed" with ashes on Ash Wednesday - Tuesday was Mardi Gras - last day to party.

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Oh, that's right.

I'm giving up seeing the obvious, evidently.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Haha, checkout the hit rate on this thread.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
:rofl:

I remember seeing the same marks on the foreheads of a (large) family in the grocery store a few years back...and wondering, what the...?
I remember knowing that other people were looking at us and thinking, "what the...?". :biggrin: IIRC, we were supposed to wear the ashes as a sort of badge of honor. I'm not sure if it is a public declaration of one's Catholicism, or just a tradition.

S_Happens

Gold Member
I remember knowing that other people were looking at us and thinking, "what the...?". :biggrin: IIRC, we were supposed to wear the ashes as a sort of badge of honor. I'm not sure if it is a public declaration of one's Catholicism, or just a tradition.
Wow, I remember doing that as a kid....

I can't recall why you wore it all day either. :uhh:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wow, I remember doing that as a kid....

I can't recall why you wore it all day either. :uhh:
Did you attend a Catholic school?

S_Happens

Gold Member
Yes, from 1st-5th grade.

No, I wasn't molested... :tongue2:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes, from 1st-5th grade.

No, I wasn't molested... :tongue2:
I attended 1-8; Altar Boy, Scout, Pancake Breakfast worker, etc, etc, etc.

I was never aware of any problems with Priests either. Though upon entering a public school in 9th grade, I had a PE coach that liked to stare at the boys in the shower. I was thrust into a world of gangs, drugs, weapons, oversized schools... The worst thing that ever happened in eight years at the Catholic school was that one girl was caught smoking a cigarette in the restroom.

Last edited:
I thought in lieu of finding an Ash Wednesday pic of Joe Biden, I'd throw in this link: :biggrin:
http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/joe_biden_clean_coal.jpg

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I thought in lieu of finding an Ash Wednesday pic of Joe Biden, I'd throw in this link: :biggrin:
http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/joe_biden_clean_coal.jpg
Indeed, clean coal produces a similar smudge. :biggrin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKC5YV2yrFk

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I was never aware of any problems with Priests either.
I think you can still sue for loss of self esteem. They were just saying you were a really unattractive child :tongue:

ps. Did you have the Nuns from Blues Brothers as well ? I think I still have the ruler scars on my knuckles

turbo

Gold Member
ps. Did you have the Nuns from Blues Brothers as well ? I think I still have the ruler scars on my knuckles
Ours used long wooden pointers with the black rubber tips. For minor offenses, you'd be ordered to hold out your hand (whack! across the palm) and for more serious ones, palm-down to gently caress the knuckles (crack!). One day, Mother Superior left her pointer after giving me a little lesson in diligence (not learning all the Catechism assignment) and left the room for a minute or two. I hid her pointer. Another kid (sniveling little suck-up in pigtails) ratted me out, earning me a palm-down lesson.

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think you can still sue for loss of self esteem. They were just saying you were a really unattractive child :tongue:
:rofl: Perhaps!

Yes. And in the fifth grade we had Sister Claire, who could land a piece of chalk in an open mouth from thirty feet! She was also deadly accurate with erasers. They were all strict, and a crack to the knuckes was common and parent approved, but I only remember having one nun who seemed mean. She was old, sick, and not a happy person. I think 30+ third-graders was just too much for her.

My greatest nemesis in those days was the evil Sister Emma - the Principal. Later we became great friends.

Turbo, I didn't realize that you are a former salt-and-pepper.

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Btw, what is the greatest thing about being a Catholic kid in Los Angeles?

Catholic School Day at Disneyland! It was closed to the general public. Relatively speaking, we had the run of the place.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving