What is the smudge on Joe Biden's forehead?

S_Happens
Gold Member
The school I went to was a little different. The parking lot between the school and church was more or less a boundary. The preists/nuns stayed in the church and we had regular teachers for classes. My grandmother was actually my fifth grade teacher and she was a Methodist, so I don't think it was a requirement that teachers were Catholic.

We went to formal mass a couple times a week, and off and on other times for various activities or special lectures. I was an altar boy the last two years there I believe.

Oh well, guess I missed out on the hardcore nuns.

Evo
Mentor
My church also had a convent. All teachers were nuns. It was very traditional, until the head priest, Father Nelson, got excommunicated and I refused to contunue to go (age 11).

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Catholic School Day at Disneyland! It was closed to the general public. Relatively speaking, we had the run of the place.
Erm, aren't there a couple of mexicans in LA?
Now Mormon school day in LA I can imagine - just one kid on his own on the rides!

turbo
Gold Member
Catechism is on Saturdays, at least in Roman Catholic Churches. Sunday is for Mass. Confession is also on Saturday. Confession is not held on Sunday either, so if you didn't confess Saturday, you can't take communion on Sunday.
Not in our parish. I grew up in mill-towns and the French-Catholic Canadian immigrants couldn't afford to give up some prime overtime hours (Saturday mornings) driving their kids to the church when they could be working. Catechism was after early Mass on Sundays until mid-day Mass - a couple of hours of hell Every Sunday morning. Older kids had catechism after school on weekdays, which gave me an easy out, since I ran cross-country, did downhill and cross-country ski racing, managed the basketball team, and played 2nd base/shortstop in baseball. I also played trumpet, baritone, and French horn in the school bands and sang baritone parts in the chorus. I had to trade a lot of hours around for sports/music/etc to keep my after-school activities all going. Catechism? No time! Believe me, when you are lettering in sports and playing 1st chair horn in the bands and qualifying for All-state music programs and the coaches and music director want to fight it out, there is a LOT of pressure. I decided that I would not attend after-school religious training, and though my mother was hesitant, my father was supportive and family-life got a bit easier.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Catechism is on Saturdays, at least in Roman Catholic Churches. Sunday is for Mass. Confession is also on Saturday. Confession is not held on Sunday either, so if you didn't confess Saturday, you can't take communion on Sunday.
How does a person know what sins they're going to commit Saturday night?

Then again, they probably couldn't remember them Sunday morning, either.

Of course, if one were sly......

Tommy went to confession and told the priest: "Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. I partook of the forbidden fruit of a fair maiden."

Father: "Oh, you got to learn to resist the temptation, son. Was it Rebecca?"

Tommy: "No, father, I'd rather not say."

Father: "Well, I think 10 Hail Mary's will take care of what you've already done, but you have to promise to be watch out for the allures of evil women. Was it Elizabeth?"

Tommy: "No, father, I don't really think it's my place to talk about the girl. Not nice to kiss and tell, and all that, you know."

Father: "Well, that's a good thing, I guess. But, some of the young ladies around here are nothing but trouble, so you got to watch out. Besides, I'll bet it was Theresa, anyway."

After the confession, Tommy's friend, Paddy, asked, "What in the world took you so long. It's not like you've anything worth confessing. You should have been in and out in about 30 seconds."

Tommy: "Maybe I haven't been so lucky in the past, but I've got at least 3 leads for tonight, though."

Last edited:
How does a person know what sins they're going to commit Saturday night?

Then again, they probably couldn't remember them Sunday morning, either.

Of course, if one were sly......

Tommy went to confession and told the priest: "Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. I partook of the forbidden fruit of a fair maiden."

Father: "Oh, you got to learn to resist the temptation, son. Was it Rebecca?"

Tommy: "No, father, I'd rather not say."

Father: "Well, I think 10 Hail Mary's will take care of what you've already done, but you have to promise to be watch out for the allures of evil women. Was it Elizabeth?"

Tommy: "No, father, I don't really think it's my place to talk about the girl. Not nice to kiss and tell, and all that, you know."

Father: "Well, that's a good thing, I guess. But, some of the young ladies around here are nothing but trouble, so you got to watch out. Besides, I'll bet it Theresa, anyway."

After the confession, Tommy's friend, Paddy, asked, "What in the world took you so long. It's not like you've anything worth confessing. You should have been in and out in about 30 seconds."

Tommy: "Maybe I haven't been so lucky in the past, but I've got at least 3 leads for tonight, though."
You can learn a lot around here...