What is the solubility of K2Cr2O7 in water at 20 °C?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jdawg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Solubility
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 5K views
jdawg
Messages
366
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


5. The solubility of K2Cr2O7 in water is 125 g/L at 20 °C. A solution is prepared at 20 °C that contains 6.0 grams of K2Cr2O7 in 50. mL of water.
This solution is (A) dilute. (B) saturated. (C) supersaturated. (D) unsaturated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


Hi! I'm trying to study for my chemistry final and I have no memory of working problems like this. I feel like we might of just briefly talked about this in class. I know the answer is D, but I don't know how to work this problem. Could someone please point me in the right direction?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Chet means gram.

Generally the question is about having both solubility and concentration of the prepared solution expressed using the same unit (whatever you choose) and comparing both numbers.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Chestermiller
Oh ok. So how do you find the solubility and concentration?
 
jdawg said:
how do you find the solubility

Have you read the problem?

jdawg said:
The solubility of K2Cr2O7 in water is 125 g/L
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Chestermiller
I'm panicking about this exam man, my mind is clouded. No need to be sassy.
 
Hint: if there are 6.0 grams of K2Cr2O7 in 50. mL of water, how many grams would be in 1 L of identical solution?

Alternatively, if 125 grams dissolve in 1 L, how many grams will dissolve in 50 mL?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Chestermiller