What is the solution to r^(n+1)*(1-r) in calculus?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Roscoe1989
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculus
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
45 replies · 5K views
Roscoe1989
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
1. can someone tell me what r^(n+1)*(1-r)=? I need it to solve a proof, but my math is so rusty! thanks!



2. r^(n+1)*(1-r)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the question...? Like the real question.
 
prove by induction on n that
1+r+r^2...+r^=1-r^n+1/1-r
if r doesn't equal 1
 
Just to be clear, you have

[tex]r^n + \frac{1}{1 -r}[/tex] on your right hand side?
 
oopps, sorry. it should be

1+r+...+r^n=1-r^(n+1) / 1-r
 
Base Case. You know that step you do in Induction
 
Roscoe1989 said:
oopps, sorry. it should be

1+r+...+r^n=1-r^(n+1) / 1-r

If you don't know induction, just multiply out (1+r+...+r^n)*(1-r). Many terms cancel.
 
Roscoe1989 said:
my textbook is saying 1-r^n+1

Oh sorry I didn't see the 1 in front earlier
 
Last edited:
Roscoe1989 said:
my textbook is saying 1-r^n+1

Your textbook is right.
 
Roscoe1989 said:
is it n can't be 0? but can be anything else?

try pluggin in 0
 
[tex]1 + r + r^2 + ... + r^n = \frac{1 - r^{n+1}}{1-r}[/tex]

Is what you have. What happens if n = 0?
 
Roscoe1989 said:
then the right hand side will equal 1. right?

And what about the left hand side? What happens there?
 
flyingpig said:
Why?

Why not? I would interpret 1+r+...+r^n for n=0 to be 1. (1-r^(0+1))/(1-r)=(1-r)/(1-r)=1. I'm not sure you are leading this in a helpful direction, flyingpig.
 
Dick said:
Why not? I would interpret 1+r+...+r^n for n=0 to be 1. (1-r^(0+1))/(1-r)=(1-r)/(1-r)=1. I'm not sure you are leading this in a helpful direction, flyingpig.

Nononon, Ros asked if it can be 0 before
 
Roscoe1989 said:
honestly, i don't know

[tex]1 + r + r^2 + ... + r^n = \frac{1 - r^{n+1}}{1-r}[/tex]

You were originally given this. You got it right when you said the rhs is 1 when n = 0
 
Roscoe1989 said:
does it mean that it's "proven"?

By Induction? No

If only though, if only...