What is the solution to the differential equation dy/dx=(y-y2)/x for x≠0?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
mmekosh
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Solve the differential equation: dy/dx=(y-y2)/x , for all x[tex]\neq[/tex] 0

Homework Equations



Integration by Parts: [tex]\int[/tex] u dv = u v - [tex]\int[/tex] v du

[tex]\int[/tex]lnx= 1/x + C
[tex]\int[/tex] (1/x) = lnx + C
dy/dx lnx = 1/x
dy/dx 1/x = lnx

The Attempt at a Solution



dy/(y-y2)=dx/x

[tex]\int[/tex] 1/(y-y2) dy = [tex]\int[/tex] 1/x dx

[tex]\int[/tex] (1/y)(1/(1-y))dy = lnx + C

(Integration by parts)
u=1/x dv=(1/(1-y))dy
du=lnydy v= -ln(1-y)dy

-lny / y + [tex]\int[/tex] lny ln(1-y) dy

And then if I continue and do integration by parts again, it just goes back to the original integral.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of trying to do this by integration by parts, use the technique of partial fractions. In a nutshell you want to rewrite your integral on the left side:
[tex]\int \frac{dy}{y(1 - y)}[/tex]

with the fraction broken up into two separate fractions, like so:
[tex]\int \left[\frac{A}{y} + \frac{B}{1 - y}\right]dy[/tex]

What you need to do is to find constants A and B so that 1/(y(1 - y)) is identically equal to A/y + B/(1 - y).
 
mmekosh said:
[tex]\int[/tex]lnx= 1/x + C
[tex]\int[/tex] (1/x) = lnx + C
dy/dx lnx = 1/x
dy/dx 1/x = lnx
Hello!
I don't mean to butt in, but can someone verify that:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{1}{x}) = \ln{x}?[/tex]
Also, the integral:
[tex]\int{\ln{x}} \left \left dx = \frac{1}{x}?[/tex]
I'm confused...
Many thanks.
 
nobahar said:
Hello!
I don't mean to butt in, but can someone verify that:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{1}{x}) = \ln{x}?[/tex]
Also, the integral:
[tex]\int{\ln{x}} \left \left dx = \frac{1}{x}?[/tex]
I'm confused...
Many thanks.

I think you've confused the concept of integral with that of derivative as

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(\ln(x)) = \frac{1}{x}[/tex]
[tex]\int{\frac{1}{x}} \left \left dx = \ln(x)+C[/tex].

And yeah both are correct.

AB
 
nobahar said:
Hello!
I don't mean to butt in, but can someone verify that:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{1}{x}) = \ln{x}?[/tex]
No, no one can verify that- it's not true. What is true is that
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{1}{x})= -\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]
because [itex]\frac{1}{x}= x^{-1}[/itex] and the derivative of [itex]x^n[/itex] is [itex]nx^{n-1}[/itex].

Also, the integral:
[tex]\int{\ln{x}} \left \left dx = \frac{1}{x}?[/tex]
I'm confused...
Many thanks.
No, that's also not true. [itex]\int ln(x) dx= ln(x)(x- 1)+ C[/itex]

You have these both backwards: [itex]d(ln(x))/dx= 1/x[/itex] and [itex]\int 1/x dx= ln(x)+ C[/itex].
 
Thanks both Altabeh and Halls.
I didn't consider them to be true, hence why I said I was confused. It was from the OP's relevant equations section.