What is the speed of a wedge sliding down an inclined plane?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Identity
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Plane Sliding
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Identity
Messages
151
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A point particle of mass m is sliding down a wedge inclined at an angle of [tex]\alpha[/tex] to the horizontal. The wedge has a mass m and is free to slide on a smooth horizontal surface. When the mass has fallen a height h, what will be the speed of the wedge?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I tried a kinematics approach with a lot of angle-bashing and eventually came up with:

[tex]v = \frac{h}{g^2} \cot \alpha[/tex]

But this is wrong, and I have a feeling this is too complex for kinematics

I've thought about a conservation of energy approach with

[tex]mgh = \frac{1}{2}mu^2+\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

where 'u' is the speed of the particle and 'v' is the speed of the block, but I don't know how to divde up the speeds!

thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried the conservation of momentum? There's no external forces in the x direction, so horizontal momentum must be conserved.
 
Thanks, I hadn't considered conservation of momentum, I think I've got it now