How can I find the velocity of the combined cars after collision?

In summary, a car of mass 1500kg rolled down a 30 degree slope for a distance of 30m before colliding with a stationary car on a flat section. The two cars stuck together and scraped along the road for 20m before coming to a rest. Assuming the second car has the same mass as the first, the velocity of the combined cars after the collision would be 8.575m/s. The energy lost during the collision can be calculated by comparing the initial kinetic energy of the first car with the final kinetic energy of the combined cars, resulting in a loss of 110,295J.
lola2000

Homework Statement

A car of mass 1500kg is parked on a 30degree slope before rolling down a distance of 30m onto a flat section where it collides with a stationary car. The cars stick together and scrape along the road for 20m until they come to a rest. Calculate the velocity of the two combined cars immediately after the collision. Calculate the energy lost in the collision and the average coefficient of dynamic friction between the road and the two vehicles

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Pythagoras gives that the first car will drop a vertical height of 15m.
So mgh=0.5mv^2 energy conservation for the first car when it reaches the bottom of the slope. So it's velocity at the bottom of the slope will be 17.15m/s

Then to find the velocity of the combined cars immediately after the collision I need to use conservation of momentum BUT I don't have the mass of the second car??
m1v1 +m2v2 = (m1+m2) v3
1500 * 17.15 + m2 *0 = (1500 +m2) * v3

How can I find the resultant velocity??

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess they expect you to assume that the mass of the 2nd car is the same as that of the first car.

Chet

You will need to think carefully (even, 'carfully') in the second part.

So if I assume that the second car is the same mass I would get a final velocity of the combined cars after the collision to be 8.575m/s

For the energy lost during the collision would I just need to compare the initial kinetic energy of car 1 before impact with the final kinetic energy of the combined cars after collision?

Ek lost = 0.5 (m1+m2) v^2 - 0.5 *1500 *17.15^2 = 110 295J

haruspex said:
You will need to think carefully (even, 'carfully') in the second part.
Excellent. You're right. You don't have to assume
lola2000 said:
So if I assume that the second car is the same mass I would get a final velocity of the combined cars after the collision to be 8.575m/s

For the energy lost during the collision would I just need to compare the initial kinetic energy of car 1 before impact with the final kinetic energy of the combined cars after collision?

Ek lost = 0.5 (m1+m2) v^2 - 0.5 *1500 *17.15^2 = 110 295J
yes

What is momentum conservation?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that the total mass and velocity of the system will not change unless acted upon by an external force.

Why is momentum conservation important?

Momentum conservation is important because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in a system. It allows us to mathematically describe the interactions between objects and determine how they will move.

What are the key equations related to momentum conservation?

The two key equations related to momentum conservation are the law of conservation of momentum and the momentum equation. The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. The momentum equation is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

How is momentum conserved in collisions?

In collisions, momentum is conserved through the transfer of momentum from one object to another. This means that the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

Are there any exceptions to the law of momentum conservation?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the law of momentum conservation. In situations where external forces are present, such as friction or air resistance, momentum may not be conserved. Also, in very small scales, quantum mechanics may come into play and momentum may not be conserved.