Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the speed of light doing in the spin half hamiltonian?

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    I'm currently reading Sakurai's 'Modern Quantum Mechanics' (Revised Edition) and at page 76 he introduces a spin half hamiltonian

[tex] H = - (\frac{e}{mc}) \vec S \cdot \vec B.[/tex]

But what is c doing in this hamiltonian? Clasically the energy of a magnetic moment in a magnetic field is

[tex] E = - \vec \mu \cdot \vec B = - \frac{e}{2m} \vec S \cdot \vec B[/tex]

and as far as i know what one does to go to QM is to introduce the g-factor. What am I missing here?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Standard question, standard answer: the spin-orbit coupling is a specially relativistic effect, even though the spin notion itself can be derived without special relativity. The <c> comes from the Dirac equation.

4. Sep 6, 2012 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Say what? If this term is spin-orbit coupling, where is L??

The c comes about because according to Dirac the magnetic moment μ of the electron is -eħ/2mc, or -e/mc times the spin ħ/2.

5. Sep 6, 2012 #4
    ah, thanks. I guess I have to be reading up on that then.

6. Sep 6, 2012 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, not paying attention. Disregard my post above.

If the <c> is there or not must be in the end a matter of convention, just like the as the case of CGS vs MKS in electromagnetism.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook