1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the speed of the boat after time 2.00 hr has passed?

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    Can you please help me out with the second part of this question? I got the first two parts. Its PART C that I am not getting. Thanks!

A boat of mass 250 kg is coasting, with its engine in neutral, through the water at speed 3.00 m/s when it starts to rain. The rain is falling vertically, and it accumulates in the boat at the rate of 10.0 kg/hr.

Part A
    What is the speed of the boat after time 2.00 hr has passed? Assume that the water resistance is negligible.

Part B
    Now assume that the boat is subject to a drag force F_d due to water resistance. Is the component of the total momentum of the system parallel to the direction of motion still conserved?

Part C
    The drag is proportional to the square of the speed of the boat, in the form F_{\rm d}= 0.5 v^2. What is the acceleration of the boat just after the rain starts? Take the positive x axis along the direction of motion.
    Express your answer in meters per second per second.

Its Part C that I am not getting. Please help. Thanks!!

Thank-you very much for all your time and effort!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Use Newton's 2nd law.

4. Oct 1, 2008 #3
    Re: Conservation of Momentum

Is the component of the total momentum of the system parallel to the direction of motion still conserved?

I do not get part B, the part where the system is parallel to the direction of motion. can anyone explain??

do i think of the boat and the drag force as a collision? therefore, total momentum is conserved?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?