Kepler's Second Law with Angular Momentum

In summary: So ##L= m\vec r \times \vec v## gives the correct direction and magnitude, but to get the area swept from it, you need to multiply by the small time interval.
icecats

Homework Statement

I am working on the derivation of Kepler's Second Law based on torque and angular momentum. I understand that the vector "L" is equal to the mass (m) times the cross product of the vector "r" and the vector "v." The source I am following then states that
L = mrvtheta. I do not understand how the source is deriving this from the cross product. This is shown in the second to last step on this web page.

Homework Equations

L= r cross p

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to get to the point of computing the cross product, but no further. In other words, I have completed the algebra to arrive at L= m(r cross v).

Physics news on Phys.org
icecats said:
L = mrvtheta.
Actually it says L = mrvθ.
##|\vec x\times\vec y| = |x||y||\sin(\theta)|##, where θ is the angle between the vectors.
We are given that this θ is small, so we can use the small angle approximation sin(θ)≈θ (in radians).

haruspex said:
Actually it says L = mrvθ.
##|\vec x\times\vec y| = |x||y||\sin(\theta)|##, where θ is the angle between the vectors.
We are given that this θ is small, so we can use the small angle approximation sin(θ)≈θ (in radians).
I am pretty sure it says ##L = mrv_\theta## with ##v_\theta## being the tangential component of the velocity. There is no reason for the angle to be small, what is small is ##d\theta##.

Since the radial component of velocity is parallel to the radius, it will not affect the cross product. Either way, you do not really need this if you are aware of the interpretation of a cross product as an area of a parallellogram spanned by two vectors. The area swept in a small time dt is then half the absolute value of ##\vec r \times \vec v \, dt## (it is a triangle, not a parallellogram).

1. What is Kepler's Second Law with Angular Momentum?

Kepler's Second Law with Angular Momentum states that an imaginary line connecting a planet to the sun will sweep out equal areas in equal amounts of time. This means that a planet will move faster when it is closer to the sun and slower when it is farther away.

2. How does Kepler's Second Law relate to the conservation of angular momentum?

Kepler's Second Law is a result of the conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied. In this case, the planet's distance from the sun changes the speed of its orbit, but the product of its mass and velocity (angular momentum) remains the same.

3. What is the significance of Kepler's Second Law for planetary motion?

Kepler's Second Law is significant because it explains why planets have elliptical orbits rather than circular orbits. Without the conservation of angular momentum, planets would have to travel at a constant speed around the sun in a circular orbit. But because the speed changes due to the varying distance from the sun, planets are able to maintain a stable elliptical orbit.

4. How does Kepler's Second Law affect the concept of orbital periods?

Kepler's Second Law also has an impact on the concept of orbital periods. Because a planet moves faster when it is closer to the sun, the time it takes for a planet to complete one orbit (orbital period) is shorter when it is closer to the sun. This means that planets closer to the sun have shorter orbital periods compared to those farther away.

5. Can Kepler's Second Law be applied to other objects in space besides planets?

Yes, Kepler's Second Law can be applied to any objects in orbit around a central body, not just planets. This includes satellites, comets, and even artificial objects like space probes. As long as there is a central body exerting a gravitational force, Kepler's Second Law can be used to describe the motion of the orbiting object.