1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the square root of i^2

1. Oct 4, 2006 #1
    what does [tex]\sqrt{i^2}[/tex] equal to? is [tex]\sqrt{i^2} = i[/tex] or [tex]\sqrt{i^2} = \pm i[/tex]?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2006 #2
    im guessing its plus&minus

4. Oct 4, 2006 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The square root is usually taken to be the principal branch of the function. I.e. the root whose argument lies in [0,pi), so you would conventionally obtain i.

In general the n'th root of a complex number is taken to be the principal root unless otherwise stated: the root with argument in the interval [0,2pi/n)

5. Oct 4, 2006 #4
    I gave you the usual definition of the square root function in your other thread. You can use that to figure out what it is.

6. Oct 5, 2006 #5
    you said, [itex]\sqrt{z} = z^{1/2} = \sqrt{r}e^{i\theta/2}.[/itex]

but if [tex]z = x + iy[/tex], then [tex]r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex] and [tex]\theta = \tan^{-1}\left( y \over x \right)[/tex]

if [tex]z = -1 = -1 + 0.i[/tex], then x = -1, y = 0.

[tex]r = \sqrt{\left(-1\right)^2} = \sqrt{1} = 1[/tex]

[tex]\theta = \tan^{-1}\left( {0} \over {-1} \right) = 0[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{z} = \sqrt{-1} = \sqrt{r}e^{i\frac{\theta}{2}} = \sqrt{1}e^{0} = 1[/tex]

but where did i go wrong?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  7. Oct 5, 2006 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because arctan only returns values in the region -pi/2 to pi/2, so it is wrong to say that theta is arctan(y/x) alone. You must also use your common sense to see that the argument is actually pi, not zero. It is correct to say that tan(theta)=y/x, but that is *not* the same as theta =arctan(y/x) at all.

8. Oct 5, 2006 #7
    yeah, i can see that [tex]\theta = \pi[/tex] from the position of z = -1 in the argand plane. so,

[tex]\sqrt{z} = \sqrt{-1} = \sqrt{r}e^{i\frac{\theta}{2}} = \sqrt{1}e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}} = 1.(\cos{\frac{\pi}{2}} + i.\sin{\frac{\pi}{2}}) = i[/tex]

am i right?

9. Oct 7, 2006 #8

This is my assumption:

[tex]\sqrt{i^{2}} = \sqrt{-1} = i[/tex]

[tex]i^{2}[/tex] is equal to -1 and square root of -1 is defined as i.

10. Oct 8, 2006 #9
    That expression for [itex]r[/itex] works for all [itex]z[/itex], but the one for [itex]\theta[/itex] only works for [itex]x>0[/itex], assuming you're using the usual branch of arctan. In general finding the polar representation of a complex number involves solving

[tex]\sin{\theta} = \frac{y}{r}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\cos{\theta} = \frac{x}{r}[/tex]

simultaneously (taking [itex]\arctan (y/x)[/itex] makes the possible solutions obvious though!).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook