1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the square root of x^2?

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    It can't be x, because you get a positive number when x is negative.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It is |x|

4. Oct 30, 2012 #3
    What if your have (x^2)^0.5? Doesn't that equal x?

5. Oct 30, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No. That is only x if x is positive.

6. Oct 30, 2012 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

$$ \sqrt{x^2} = |x|$$

7. Oct 31, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The square root function (√) is defined (usually) to return the principal square root, i.e. the non-negative one. But the "square root" of x2 has two possible values: ±√(x2) = ±|x| = ±x.
    As for (x2)0.5, I would say that does not define a function in the strict sense, so it returns a ± result. Prepared to be shouted down on that one, though.

8. Oct 31, 2012 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I guess it depends on the definition of "exponentiation". In complex analysis, the operation [itex]x^{1/2}[/itex] is indeed multivalued. So in that context, you are right.
    When working with real number, I do think that the definition of [itex]x^{1/2}[/itex] is the principal square root.
    But again, these are just definitions so it's not very interesting.

9. Oct 31, 2012 #8

Mark44

This is not true. ##\sqrt{x^2} = |x|##.

Can you cite a single resource that makes the claim that, for example √4 = -2?

Although we say that every positive number has two square roots, a positive one and a negative, when we refer to "the square root" of something, we're talking about the principal (or positive) square root.

10. Nov 1, 2012 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's what I said. The distinction I'm drawing is between taking a square root in a calculation, in which you have to allow for both signs, and the definition of the square root function (as indicated by √), which must be single valued by definition.

11. Nov 1, 2012 #10
    In high school, I was taught √(x^2) = ±x. It was a long time ago, but will never forget it. Always lost marks for writing anything else.

12. Nov 1, 2012 #11

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

Ouch that sucks. Vibes.
    Your teacher should have known better: if it was equal to ±x, the quadratic formula wouldn't need it.

13. Nov 1, 2012 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

High schools all over the world are, for some reason, terrified of the absolute value sign, and thus teaches wrongly.
    I do not know why they are so scared...

14. Nov 1, 2012 #13

Mark44

It seems to me that we are saying different things. What I said (quoted above) is that √(x2) has a single value, which depends on whether x is positive or negative.

What you seem to be saying is that √(x2) has two values, ±x. What you said is quoted below.

An example might help clear this up.

Solve for x: x2 = 4

Taking the square root of both sides, we get
    √(x2) = √4
    |x| = 2
    If x < 0, then x = -2
    If x > 0, then x = 2

A fine point here is that |x| ≠ ±x. If that were the case, then the graph of y = |x| would not represent a function, since each nonzero x value would have two y values. The resulting graph would be the combined graphs of y = x and y = -x.

Instead, the graph of y = |x| has a V shape, and is exactly the same as the graph of y = √(x).

15. Nov 1, 2012 #14
    Why did you only take the positive square-root of both sides? Shouldn't you take both the positive and negative square-roots of both sides since both are valid solutions?

16. Nov 1, 2012 #15

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

No, why?

Taking the NEGATIVE square root operation is another, EQUALLY valid operation, but with absolutely no new information gained.

Your answer would then be:
    -|x|=-2

17. Nov 1, 2012 #16
    No what?

Edit: -√4 * -√4 = 4

18. Nov 1, 2012 #17
    Wow. Everything I was taught in high school is wrong!

19. Nov 1, 2012 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That is correct.

20. Nov 1, 2012 #19
    [tex]{ ({ { x }^{ 2 } }) }^{ \frac { 1 }{ 2 } }=|x|\\ \\ \sqrt { x } =\quad |x|\\ -\sqrt { x } =\quad -|x|[/tex]

How would I get -|x| from using the exponent method?

edit: Never mind. I'm an idiot.

21. Nov 1, 2012 #20

Mark44

You can't go from the first equation to the second. The second line should be
    $$ \sqrt { x^2 } = |x| $$

and similarly for the third line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook