Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the status of research on gravitons and Higgs bosons?

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    What is the present state of research on gravitons and Higgs bosons? How much has the research advanced?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2012 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not sure about gravitons, but regarding the Higgs, I'm curious. Have you not had any internet connection for the past 2 years, or have been insulated from any kind of news?

Zz.

4. Apr 25, 2012 #3

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

In terms of gravitons, we cannot and will not ever detect them individually (while we can, and likely will, detect gravitational waves within the next few years).

5. Apr 25, 2012 #4
    The question was posted here because there might be a particle physicist in the forum that might have data on the research so it might be easier to post a question in this forum and get the information directly from the source rather than taking the information indirectly from online references.

6. Apr 25, 2012 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't think that any ATLAS/CMS collaboration member would give you internal data here, so we are all limited to conference talks, publications and other presentations.
    As far as I know, there were no interesting updates on Higgs searches since december (which included the full 2011 data anyway), and I think you know the results presented there. Maybe ATLAS updated the data at the high mass region, but without interesting results.

I would expect new things at the summer conferences, with a dataset similar to the one of 2011. Enough to see a bump at 125 GeV again, but not enough for the "magic 5 sigma", even in combinations.

Gravitons: I didn't see any signs of extra dimensions, gravitons or other new stuff so far.

7. Apr 25, 2012 #6

jtbell

It might have been helpful to specify, since when?

8. Apr 25, 2012 #7
    Since 2011-2012.

9. Apr 25, 2012 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Hmm, I should have read my mails ;)

ATLAS gave a presentation on the status of the Higgs searches yesterday. The exclusion limits at ~115-120 GeV and at the high mass region got a bit better, but apart from that, nothing new happened.

10. Apr 25, 2012 #9
    And by research do you mean detection or understanding?

11. Apr 26, 2012 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook