What do the symbols \delta and \upsilon represent in IR spectroscopy?

In summary, the speaker is a first time poster on a PF forum and has a question about interpreting IR spectro graphs. They understand the general idea of interpreting the sharpness and strength of the lines, but are having trouble identifying between the delta and nu versions of functional groups. They have tried correlating usage between the fingerprint and functional regions, but have not been successful. They ask for clarification and receive a response mentioning stretch or bend as representations.
burton95
Hi there. First time PF poster. I have a question about interpreting IR spectro graphs. I get the general idea of interpreting the sharpness and strength of the line but when I need to ID the pulse down I have to choose between [itex]\delta[/itex] and [itex]\upsilon[/itex] (or mabe its just v) version of the functional groups. I tried to correlate the usage b/w the fingerprint (400-1500 cm-1) and the functional (1500-4000 cm-1) regions and haven't seen the light yet. Thanks

burton95

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you mean by delta or nu versions of the functional group. The fingerprint region is pretty useless in finding out what functional groups are present btw. Could you state your question more precisely?

I think I found out it represents a stretch or a bend. Thanks for the reply

Anthony

Related to What do the symbols \delta and \upsilon represent in IR spectroscopy?

1. What does the "IR" in IR spectroscopy stand for?

The "IR" in IR spectroscopy stands for infrared, which is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has longer wavelengths than visible light.

2. What is the purpose of using notation in IR spectroscopy?

The notation in IR spectroscopy is used to represent the absorption frequencies of different chemical bonds and functional groups in a molecule. This allows scientists to identify and analyze the chemical structure of a sample.

3. What are the units used in IR spectroscopy notation?

The units used in IR spectroscopy notation are wavenumbers, which are expressed in reciprocal centimeters (cm-1). This unit is proportional to the energy of the absorbed radiation, making it a useful scale for identifying molecular vibrations.

4. How is IR spectroscopy notation related to molecular vibrations?

The notation in IR spectroscopy is related to molecular vibrations because each peak in the spectrum represents a specific type of vibration, such as stretching, bending, or twisting of chemical bonds. The position and intensity of these peaks can provide information about the types of bonds present in a molecule.

5. Can IR spectroscopy notation be used to determine the exact structure of a molecule?

No, IR spectroscopy notation alone cannot determine the exact structure of a molecule. While it can provide valuable information about the types of bonds and functional groups present, other techniques such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy and mass spectrometry are needed to fully determine the structure of a molecule.

Back