What is the sum of n^2/n from 1 to infinity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter upsidedowntop
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Infinity Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 24K views
upsidedowntop
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[itex]\sum_1^\infty \frac{n^2}{n!} =[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Context: practice Math GRE question I don't know how to answer.

Well, it's bigger than e and converges by the ratio test. Adding up the first 5 or 6 terms suggests that it converges to 2e. That's good enough for a standardized test, but I'd like to know how to handle this series legitimately.

Thanks in advance for any help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It does converge to 2e (by wolfram alpha), but I'm not sure how to derive it.
 
Is [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{n}{(n-1)!}[/itex] any easier ?
 
upsidedowntop said:

Homework Statement



[itex]\sum_1^\infty \frac{n^2}{n!} =[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Context: practice Math GRE question I don't know how to answer.

Well, it's bigger than e and converges by the ratio test. Adding up the first 5 or 6 terms suggests that it converges to 2e. That's good enough for a standardized test, but I'd like to know how to handle this series legitimately.

Thanks in advance for any help.

n^2/n! = n/(n-1)!, so your sum = sum_{n=1..inf} n/(n-1)! = sum_{k=0..inf} (k+1)/k!. Look at (d/dx) sum_{k=0..inf} x^(k+1)/k! .

RGV
 
Thank you Sammy and Ray, I have it now. In case anyone is curious:

[itex] \sum_1^\infty \frac{n^2}{n!} <br /> <br /> = \sum_0^\infty \frac{k+1}{k!}<br /> <br /> = lim_{m \to \infty} (p_m + p_{m-1})[/itex]
where [itex]p_k = \sum_0^m 1/k![/itex] .
And that limit is 2e.

Ray, I see that that derivative, evaluated at 1, is equal to our series. But what good does that do?
 
You can look at this in stages:

What is [itex]\frac{n}{n!}[/itex] equal to?

Then what is [itex]\sum_1^\infty \frac{n}{n!}[/itex] equal to? (It will help to keep in mind the infinite series for e .)

Next, what is [itex]\frac{n (n-1)}{n!}[/itex] equal to? (Write it two different ways: by cancelling terms in numerator and denominator and by simply multiplying out the numerator.)

Then what would [itex]\sum_2^\infty\frac{n (n-1)}{n!}[/itex] equal? (It may help at any of these stages to write out the first few terms of the series.)

You can now add your result for [itex]\sum_1^\infty \frac{n}{n!}[/itex] to your new result to find [itex]\sum_1^\infty \frac{n^2}{n!}[/itex] .

(You could also use this iteratively to find a general result for [itex]\sum_1^\infty \frac{n^p}{n!}[/itex] .)
 
Last edited:
upsidedowntop said:
Thank you Sammy and Ray, I have it now. In case anyone is curious:
...

And that limit is 2e.

Ray, I see that that derivative, evaluated at 1, is equal to our series. But what good does that do?
Ray's sum (to be differentiated) is: [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^\infty\frac{x^{k+1}}{k!}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =x\sum_{k=0}^\infty\frac{x^{k}}{k!}[/itex]

[itex]=xe^x[/itex]
​
d/dx(xex), evaluated at x=1 is 2e .
 
Thanks a lot everyone, this was really helpful.

Regarding the question I just asked, which Sammy just answered, thanks. I was asking myself what function
[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^\infty\frac{x^{k+1}}{k!}[/itex]
was a power series for, but for some reason it wasn't clicking. I guess I'm pretty rusty with this sort of thing.