Using the Integral Test to Show Sum is Less Than pi/2

In summary, the series converges to pi/4 but does not imply that it converges to pi/4. The integral criterion comes with an estimation, so the student is allowed to use this.
Kqwert

Homework Statement

Use the integral test to show that the sum of the series

gif.latex

##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \dfrac{1}{1+n^2}##

is smaller than pi/2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the series converges, and the integral converges to pi/4. As far as I´ve understood, this does however not mean that the series converges to pi/4. How should I solve this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The integral criterion comes along with an estimation, so what is your version you will be allowed (expected) to use?

Kqwert said:

Homework Statement

Use the integral test to show that the sum of the series

gif.latex

##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \dfrac{1}{1+n^2}##

is smaller than pi/2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the series converges, and the integral converges to pi/4. As far as I´ve understood, this does however not mean that the series converges to pi/4. How should I solve this?

Draw a picture of ##y = 1/(1+x^2)## and superimpose a picture of the step-function ##y = 1/(1+n^2), n=1,2,3, \ldots.##

fresh_42 said:
The integral criterion comes along with an estimation, so what is your version you will be allowed (expected) to use?
Not exactly sure what you are referring to here?

Ray Vickson said:
Draw a picture of ##y = 1/(1+x^2)## and superimpose a picture of the step-function ##y = 1/(1+n^2), n=1,2,3, \ldots.##
Do you mean plotting the function y(x) in the same graph as the rectangles from the step-function? And then noticing that the rectangles from the step-function is an underestimation with respect to the function y(x)?

I was referring to the integral test. Wikipedia has ##\int \ldots \leq \sum \ldots \leq \int \ldots ## and my language version ##\sum \ldots \leq \int \leq \ldots \sum \ldots## so there is an estimation for all possible cases. They probably come out of the proof for the criterion. If you do not want to use these ready made estimations, use Ray's idea in post #3.

Kqwert said:
Do you mean plotting the function y(x) in the same graph as the rectangles from the step-function? And then noticing that the rectangles from the step-function is an underestimation with respect to the function y(x)?
Use an under- and an overestimation, depending on how you count: starting with n=0 or n=1 for the step functions.

fresh_42 said:
Use an under- and an overestimation, depending on how you count: starting with n=0 or n=1 for the step functions.
Not exactly sure how do this.. do you know of any relevant examples anywhere?

Kqwert said:
Draw the function ##f(x)=y=\frac{1}{1+x^2}## in an ##(x,y)-## coordinate system. Then draw the functions
$$
f_+(x)= \frac{1}{1+\lfloor x\rfloor^2} \text{ if } \lfloor x \rfloor \leq x \leq 1+ \lfloor x \rfloor \text{ and } f_-(x)= \frac{1}{1+(\lfloor x\rfloor + 1)^2} \text{ if } \lfloor x \rfloor \leq x \leq 1 + \lfloor x \rfloor
$$
and compute ##\sum_n f_+(n)\; , \;\int f(x)\,dx=\int \frac{1}{1+x^2}\,dx\; , \;\sum_n f_-(n)## in appropriate limits.

If in doubt, draw it out!

fresh_42 said:
Draw the function ##f(x)=y=\frac{1}{1+x^2}## in an ##(x,y)-## coordinate system. Then draw the functions
$$
f_+(x)= \frac{1}{1+\lfloor x\rfloor^2} \text{ if } \lfloor x \rfloor \leq x \leq 1+ \lfloor x \rfloor \text{ and } f_-(x)= \frac{1}{1+(\lfloor x\rfloor + 1)^2} \text{ if } \lfloor x \rfloor \leq x \leq 1 + \lfloor x \rfloor
$$
and compute ##\sum_n f_+(n)\; , \;\int f(x)\,dx=\int \frac{1}{1+x^2}\,dx\; , \;\sum_n f_-(n)## in appropriate limits.

If in doubt, draw it out!
Thank you very much! However, is that the easiest way of doing it? This is Calculus 1, so I was thinking there was a more simple approach? If not, sorry.

Kqwert said:
Thank you very much! However, is that the easiest way of doing it? This is Calculus 1, so I was thinking there was a more simple approach? If not, sorry.
Yes, using Wikipedia is easier. There you can find the estimations which are needed.

You can also look for more appropriate upper / lower sums, but I think ##\sum_n \frac{1}{n^2}## which it is in the end is already easy, because you have ##\frac{\pi^2}{6} \pm c## with a constant ##c## as results.

Or you look in your proof: it should contain an upper and lower bound. But if you look at the graph I mentioned, it is easier than the formulas suggest. You don't have to draw an exact graph, some scribbling will do.

fresh_42 said:
Yes, using Wikipedia is easier. There you can find the estimations which are needed.

You can also look for more appropriate upper / lower sums, but I think ##\sum_n \frac{1}{n^2}## which it is in the end is already easy, because you have ##\frac{\pi^2}{6} \pm c## with a constant ##c## as results.

Or you look in your proof: it should contain an upper and lower bound. But if you look at the graph I mentioned, it is easier than the formulas suggest. You don't have to draw an exact graph, some scribbling will do.
Like under "Remark" on the wiki page? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_test_for_convergence
I.e. I can calculate the lower and upper bound of my series quite easily.

Yes, and that is basically what the functions ##f_{\pm}(x)## do as well. As they are step functions with the step length ##1##, their integrals equal the sums and the function ##f(x)## (and thus also its integral) is in between.

And if you change the Wikipedia page to "German" you get directly the formula you need.

Kqwert said:

If ##f(x) = 1/(1+x^2)## and ##t(n) = 1/(1+n^2)##, then when you plot ##y = f(x)## and the ##y= t(n)##, you have that ##t(n)## is the area under a rectangular block with base ##(n-1) \to n## (width 1) and height ##t(n)##. Since ##t(x)## is a strictly decreasing function we have
$$ t(n) < \int_{n-1}^n f(x) \, dx, \; n = 1, 2, 3, \ldots,$$
so ##t(1)## is less than the area under ##y = f(x)## from 0 to 1, ##t(2)## is less than the area from 1 to 2, etc.

If you want, you can also get a lower bound on the sum by noting that
$$t(n) > \int_{n}^{n+1} f(x) \, dx,$$
so ##t(1)## exceeds the area from 1 to 2, ##t(2)## exceeds the area from 2 to 3, etc.

Last edited:

What is the Integral Test?

The Integral Test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It involves comparing the series to a corresponding improper integral.

How does the Integral Test work?

The Integral Test states that if the series is convergent, then the corresponding improper integral must also be convergent. Conversely, if the improper integral is divergent, then the series must also be divergent.

What is the formula for the Integral Test?

The formula for the Integral Test is: if f(x) is a continuous, positive, and decreasing function on the interval [n, ∞), and an is the n-th term of an infinite series, then the series ∑an is convergent if and only if the improper integral ∫n∞ f(x) dx is convergent.

How is the Integral Test used to show the sum is less than π/2?

The Integral Test can be used to show that the sum of an infinite series is less than a given value, such as π/2. By finding the corresponding improper integral for the series and evaluating it at the upper limit, we can compare the result to the given value and determine if the series is convergent or not.

What are the limitations of the Integral Test?

The Integral Test can only be used for series with positive terms that are decreasing. It also requires that the function used for comparison is continuous and positive on the interval of interest. Additionally, the test does not provide a specific value for the sum of the series, only its convergence or divergence.