What is the surface height of a still pond after an object is dropped in it?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Michael12345
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pond Rock
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Michael12345
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I had an idea for a project that would make use of a formula for the surface height of a body of water after an object was dropped in it. I wouldn't need a time-dependent equation, just a nice snapshot...although a general equation (a function of x, y, and t) would be nice. I haven't had much luck finding a solution online, but I'll keep looking. I'm comfortable with undergrad level math and physics, so I don't mind doing some heavy lifting. And if you don't have the time, but can point me to a resource or two, I'd appreciate that, as well.

Thanks,
Michael
 
Physics news on Phys.org
An excellent and very thorough book on the subject is "Water Waves" by J J Stoker. And by good luck the full text is available online at www.archive.org. Sect 6.6 is "Discussion of the motion of the free surface due to disturbances initiated when the water is at rest." On or about p 170. Included are formulas, graphs and some photos, although the photos don't show up very well online.