What is the maximum height reached by an object with air resistance?

In summary: Big[\sqrt{\frac{gk}{m}}(s-s_0)\Big].$$Integrating once more we get the position$$x-x_0=\int_{v_0}^{\sqrt{\frac{mg}{k}}\tanh\Big[\sqrt{\frac{gk}{m}}(s-s_0)\Big]}\frac{mdv}{-mg-kv^2}=\frac{m}{k}\arctan\Big(\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}}v\Big)\Big|_{v_0}^{\sqrt{\frac{mg}{k}}\
nos
Hello everyone,

I was playing around with some equations regarding air resistance. I tried to calculate the height that is reached by an object that is projected vertically into the air. However something seems to go wrong when integrating.

Starting with the equation of motion
\begin{align*}
m\frac{dv}{dt}=-mg-kv^2.
\end{align*}
Setting \begin{align*}a=\sqrt{\frac{km}{g}},\\
v(0)=v_0.
\end{align*}
Then the solution to this differential equation is
\begin{align*}
v(t)=\frac{\tan{(\arctan{(av_0)}-gt})}{a}.
\end{align*}
Then the time it take to slow the object to a standstill(where it reaches maximum height) is
\begin{align*}
t_{end}=\frac{\arctan{(av_0)}}{g}.
\end{align*}

So the distance traveled in this time can be found by integrating the velocity function over this time.

\begin{align*}
h&=\int_0^{t_{end}}\frac{\tan{(\arctan{(av_0)}-gt})}{a}dt\\
&=\frac{1}{ga}(\ln{\cos{(arctan{(av_0)}-gt_{end})}}-\ln{\cos{(\arctan{(av_0)}}}.
\end{align*}
I did not even bother going through with it, it's going to come out negative.

I'm not actually sure this is the right antiderivative. Or maybe I lost a minus sign somewhere. I can't spot it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Something went wrong with units, the formulas cannot be right.

How are you sure that you can solve this analytically? I think it can only be solved numerically. I could be wrong though.

It's solvable by separation of constants:
$$-\frac{m}{mg+k v^2} \mathrm{d} v=\mathrm{d} t.$$
Because we have
$$\int \mathrm{d} v \frac{m}{mg+k v^2} =\frac{1}{g} \int \mathrm{d} v \frac{1}{1+(\sqrt{k/(mg)} v)^2} = \sqrt{\frac{m}{gk}} \arctan \left (\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}} v \right),$$
we get
$$\sqrt{\frac{m}{gk}} \left [\arctan \left (\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}} v \right)-\arctan \left (\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}} v_0 \right) \right]=-t.$$
This gives you ##v(t)##. Integrating once more gives ##h(t)##.

This is the correct answer for the velocity function. I realized I missed a constant and instead \begin{align*}
a=\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}}\end{align*}

So \begin{align*}
v(t)=\sqrt{\frac{mg}{k}}\tan{\Big[\arctan{\Big(\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}}v_0\Big)}-\sqrt{\frac{gk}{m}}t\Big]}
\end{align*}
Integrating this
\begin{align*}
h&=\sqrt{\frac{mg}{k}}\int_0^{t_{end}} \tan{\Big[\arctan{\Big(\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}}v_0\Big)}-\sqrt{\frac{gk}{m}}t\Big]}dt\\
&=\frac{m}{k}\Big[\ln{\cos{0}}-\ln{\cos{\Big(\arctan{\big(\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}}v_0\big)}\Big)}}\Big]\\
&=-\ln{\Big(\sqrt{1+\frac{k}{mg}v_0^2}\Big)}.
\end{align*}

This will give me a negative height, which is impossible.

Last edited:
The cosine of something cannot exceed 1, so the logarithm of it has to be negative or zero. The second last line is always zero or positive, not sure what happened afterwards.

Oh right thanks, so the second last line is positive. I tried to simplify the answer a bit more and this is where I think made a mistake.
Imagine a triangle with angle θ.
\begin{align*}
\theta=\arctan{\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}}v_0}
\end{align*}
Then the opposite and adjacent sides are
\begin{align*}
O&=\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}}v_0\\
A&=1
\end{align*}
Then the cosine of this configuration must be \begin{equation*}\cos{\theta}= \frac{\sqrt{1+\frac{k}{mg}v_o^2}}{1}\end{equation*}

Edit: I see this is the secant and not cosine haha, so that will account for the minus sign :) thanks for replying

In the last equation there is a square root missing and you have to swap numerator and denominator. Taken out of the log that gives a factor -1/2 which makes the result positive.

the formulas could be much shorter

Let ##s## be the path, ##\dot s=v##. Then equation
nos said:
mdvdt=−mg−kv2.​
takes the form
##m\frac{dv}{ds}v=-mg-kv^2## and
separating variables we get
$$s-s_0=\int_{v_0}^0\frac{mvdv}{-mg-kv^2}=-\frac{m}{2k}\ln(mg+kv^2)\Big|_{v_0}^0$$

Likes vanhees71, nasu and Delta2

1. What factors affect the height reached by an object?

The height reached by an object is affected by its initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

2. Why does an object eventually stop rising and start falling?

This is due to the force of gravity acting on the object. As the object moves higher, the force of gravity remains constant, pulling it back towards the ground.

3. How does air resistance affect the height reached by an object?

Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. It increases as the object's velocity increases, and can decrease the height reached by an object by slowing it down.

4. Can an object reach an infinite height?

No, an object cannot reach an infinite height. The force of gravity will always act on the object, eventually slowing it down and causing it to fall back to the ground.

5. How can we calculate the maximum height reached by an object?

The maximum height reached by an object can be calculated using the equation: h = (v2sin2θ)/(2g), where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.