What is the technology used in the ATLAS electromagnetic calorimeter?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lozzyjay
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Atlas Technology
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
lozzyjay
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Hey,
I have to write a Lab Report that is based on the ATLAS electromagnetic calorimeter. One of the topics I have to write about is "the detector technology used". I'm unsure of what this could refer to, can anyone help?!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
lozzyjay said:
Hey,
I have to write a Lab Report that is based on the ATLAS electromagnetic calorimeter. One of the topics I have to write about is "the detector technology used". I'm unsure of what this could refer to, can anyone help?!
It probably refers to the material and physical mechanism of energy deposition, and the layer-0 data transmission out to the coordination system.

Here are some examples of (what I would call) particle detector technology to help give you an idea:

- photography of condensation due to charge disturbance of supercooled water in a cloud chamber
- photography of bubbles due to charge disturbance of superheated hydrogen in a bubble chamber
- timing and muxing of charge collection from excited semiconductor junctions in the doped silicon strips of a silicon tracker
- electronic photocathode readout of cesium iodide photon detection from Cherenkov radiation in perfluorohexane
- level-triggered electronic reconstruction of photomultiplier readout from scintillation in plastic interleaved with steel absorbers