What Is the Tension Force in a Clothesline Holding Big Bird?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
tofuwrice
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Big Bird’ has a force of gravity on him of 720 N. He is perched on a clothesline such that the
clothesline forms a symmetrical 'V' with the angle within the 'V' being 150degrees. What is the
tension force in the rope on each side of ‘Big Bird’?


Homework Equations



Trigonometry

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to draw a scale diagram which failed. I also tried to figure this all out but I'm really stumped.

sin150 = x /720N
sin150 x 720N = x
0 = x
I don't know what to do from there, or even if I'm doing this right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the V with two tensions acting, they are the same.

Now split the two tensions into components. For equilibrium, sum of horizontal forces=0
and similarly, sum of vertical forces=0
 
So he (big bird) is standing on a rope and has a force straightdown in gravity, there are 2 forces of Tension, so try drawing the free body diagram (hint: the tension forces form a V and also break the tension forces into vectors after)

Then imagine a line going through the center of big bird and think about wut the angle should be for each tension force (its not 150)

In the end u should find tht the forces in the x-direction cancel and the forces in the y-direction are Tcos(angle) + Tcos(angle) = Fg

then solve.