What is the Tension in a Rope with Unequal Bucket Weights?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
frownifdown
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Two buckets of sand hand from opposite ends of a rope that passes over an ideal pulley. One bucket is full and weighs 118 N; the other is only partly filled and weighs 58 N. After the buckets are released and allowed to move what is the tension in the rope



I drew a force diagram but all I have are the two forces that are given to me. I'm not sure what other forces I need to put into solve this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sum all forces in the y direction on your FBD(more than just 118 and 58). Just to be clear do you know what 118N and 58N are forces of? You will need to know this.
 
Call T the tension in the rope, and do a free body diagram on each of the buckets, along with a vertical 2nd law force balance on each of the buckets. Eliminate T between the two force balances. How are the accelerations of the two buckets related?