1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the tension in each cord?

1. Oct 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

One 3.5 kg paint bucket is hanging by a massless cord from another 3.5 kg paint bucket, also hanging by a massless cord.

(a) If the buckets are at rest, what is the tension in each cord?

(lower cord)
    (upper cord)

(b) If the two buckets are pulled upward with an acceleration of 1.80 m/s2 by the upper cord, calculate the tension in each cord.

(lower cord)
    (upper cord)

2. Relevant equations

I'm not sure on what equations to use or anything.

3. The attempt at a solution

Everything I've been doing is wrong. I tried adding it up and dividing by gravity, then subtracting and dividing by gravity and I don't know what else to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2007 #2

malty

Gold Member

Em you might want to solve your original problem first, that should help you with this one, and it's not really advisable to try to do 2 together.

4. Oct 18, 2007 #3
    I'm not doing it together. I put it up now so I wouldn't forget about it?

5. Oct 18, 2007 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Step 1: Draw the free body diagram, and label all the forces acting on both buckets.

Have you done this? Describe all the forces you've got.

Example: Forces acting on upper bucket are <blah1> in the <foo1> direction, <blah2> in the <foo2> direction, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?