Question on force applied to an object hanging from a cord

In summary, to pull the ball out to an angle theta from the vertical, a force of mg*tan must be applied.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

A ball of mass m hangs vertically from a massless string experiencing a tension T. What force is required to pull the ball out to an angle theta from the vertical?

1. 1) mgsin(theta)
  2. 2) mgcos(theta)
  3. 3) mgtan(theta)
  4. 4) 2mg tan (theta)
  5. 5) mg/cos (theta)

Homework Equations

no equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I thought that if we break down the components of gravity acting on an object at an angle theta from the lowest point of it hanging, then we would have a component mg * sin(theta) acting in a direction perpendicular towards the cord [restoring force] and a component mg * cos(theta) acting in a direction antiparallel to the cords tension.

Thus, I would need to apply an equivalent force to mg*sin(theta) in the opposite to counter react the force of gravity's component.

The solutions say that the answer is mg*tan
Well, I thought that if we break down the components of gravity acting on an object at an angle theta from the lowest point of it hanging, then we would have a component mg * sin(theta) acting in a direction perpendicular towards the cord [restoring force] and a component mg * cos(theta) acting in a direction antiparallel to the cords tension.

Thus, I would need to apply [number 3]. Could anyone please explain why their answer is right and why my approach is possibly wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Robonerd!

I like your answer! The problem does not make any restriction on the direction of your applied force.

I think maybe they are assuming the applied force is horizontal. If you make that assumption, what answer would you get?

Likes RoboNerd
I have no idea. Could you please guide me?

RoboNerd said:
I have no idea.
Yes you do!
Could you please guide me?
A free body diagram will guide you.

2016-05-06.png

here is my free body diagram. kinda messy, i know.

Where's your applied force (that you are going to assume is horizontal)?

Going rightwards starting from the point where the T and Fg forces intersect?

Yes. I suggest a fresh drawing. Do not break any of the forces into components yet. Make sure you label the angle θ correctly.

wHUTXj2WCZEygAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==.png

how about this?

Good. (Your angle θ is drawn correctly in both figures. For some reason I initially thought it was in the wrong place.)

Now, spend a little time trying to solve for Fapp using your drawing.

1. What is the formula for calculating the force applied to an object hanging from a cord?

The formula for calculating the force applied to an object hanging from a cord is F = mg, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the angle of the cord affect the force applied to the object?

The angle of the cord does not affect the force applied to the object. As long as the cord is taut and the object is not moving, the force applied will be equal to the weight of the object.

3. Does the length of the cord affect the force applied to the object?

The length of the cord can affect the force applied to the object. The longer the cord, the greater the tension and therefore, the greater the force applied to the object. However, in most cases, the length of the cord is negligible compared to other factors such as the mass of the object and the angle of the cord.

4. What is the difference between the force applied to an object hanging from a cord and a similar object on a flat surface?

The force applied to an object hanging from a cord is the weight of the object, whereas the force applied to a similar object on a flat surface is the normal force exerted by the surface on the object. This normal force is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the weight of the object.

5. How does the location of the force applied to the object affect its motion?

The location of the force applied to the object does not affect its motion if the force is applied at the center of mass. However, if the force is applied at a different point, it can cause the object to rotate or accelerate in a particular direction.