What is the threshold for total extinction of light in a given medium?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tiberius47
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Extinction Light
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Tiberius47
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I am given a distance at which a particular object is just discernible and am asked to find the opacity of the air.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution

I know that:

I(x)=I0e-kρx

but I don't know at what point you have total extinction. Obviously you would only have zero intensity with the density, opacity, or distance at infinity.

I'm using Foundations of Astrophysics by Ryden and I can't find a reference to what intensity of light is not visible.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A rough approximation might be sufficient. In that case, you can consider something like I(x)=1/e I_0 or I(x)=1/e^2 I_0.