What is the Time it Takes for a Car to Fall off a Cliff with Given Parameters?

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the time it takes for a car to fall off a cliff, given the height and base of the cliff, as well as the car's coefficient of static and kinetic friction, sliding distance before falling, and mass. The suggested approach is to use the equation f(kinetic)=coefficient of kinetic friction x mass x gravity to find the force acting on the car, and then use projectile motion to determine the initial speed of the car before it started to skid.
michelle2011

Homework Statement

I am trying to start a project. My first step is to figure out the time a car fell off of a cliff. I know the height of the cliff which 40 meters, the base of the cliff from the car when it reaches the bottom which is 30 meters. The car has a static friction coeffiecient of 0.1 and a kinetic (sliding) friction coeffiecient of 0.50. Before it falls off the cliff it slides 2 meters and the car has a mass of 1000 kg.

Homework Equations

f(kinetic)=coffecient of kinetic friction x mass x gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the force by setting the above equation equal to kinetic friction which equals the force

Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote,

"The car has a static friction coeffiecient of 0.1 and a kinetic (sliding) friction coeffiecient of 0.50. "

The static friction coefficient should be larger?

The way you word your problem I have now idea what is going on. A picture might help or a better description of the problem.

You should be able to get the speed with which the car left the cliff by assuming projectile motion. Working backwards one can then get the initial speed of the car before it started to skid.

What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is already in motion.

What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that resists the initial motion of an object that is at rest.

What factors affect the magnitude of friction?

The magnitude of friction can be affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants.

How does friction affect the motion of objects?

Friction can either slow down or prevent the motion of objects. It can also cause objects to heat up due to the energy dissipated during the frictional force.

How is friction useful in everyday life?

Friction is essential for everyday tasks such as walking, driving, and writing. It also allows us to control the speed of objects, for example, by using brakes on a vehicle.