1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the torque if the rope is attached

1. Mar 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a large stone obelisk that is 8meters tall is laid down flat in the center of a Roman piazza and is going to be tilted into place by a rope and pulley system tied to a team of donkeys. If the team of donkeys always pulls with a constant force of 4500N, what is the torque if:
    a) the rope is attached to the middle of the obelisk
    b) the rope is attached to the end of the obelisk at a 45 degree angle?
    c) the rope is attached perpendicularly to the end of the obelisk?

2. Relevant equations
    t = F * I

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) 4m * 4500 = 18,000N*m
    b) (8m)(cos45)(4500N) = 25455N*m
    c) is it zero?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

hmm. The question doesn't say what point the torque is meant to be calculated around. But I think you have chosen the correct point (the pivot point), this seems the most obvious choice.

I think you've got questions a) and b) right (But be careful with the rounding in part b, it looks like you have rounded down when it should have been rounded up). For question c, think of how the rope was attached in question a.

4. Mar 8, 2012 #3
    a and b are right. c is 8*4500=36,000

5. Mar 9, 2012 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

That sounds right to me. (I'm guessing you have had your work marked already?) Do you get why the answer to c is what it is?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook