1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the total rotational kinetic energy of the wheels?

1. Oct 20, 2006 #1
    A 50kg rider on a moped of mass 75kg is traveling with a speed of 20 m/s. Each of the two wheels of the moped has a radius of 0.2m and a moment of inertia of 0.2 kg*m^2. What is the total rotaional kinetic energy of teh wheels?

KEr = 1/2Iw^2
    = 1/2(.02)(20)^2
    = 4
    Two wheels = 2 *4 = 8 Joules

I think I am wrong as the angular velocity (w) has to be in rad/s. For some reason, I can not figure out how to get that. What is the formula for w?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that formula requires angular speed, not linear speed. They are related by: v = wr.

(A complete circle, one circumference, is equivalent to [itex]2 \pi[/itex] radians.)
  4. Oct 20, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, you're using an incorrect value for [itex]\omega[/itex].

If you're confused by the radians, it might be helpful to figure out how many degrees per second the wheels are turning, and then use the conversion:
    [tex]1 \rm{degree}=\frac{\pi}{180} \rm{radians}[/tex]
  5. Oct 20, 2006 #4
    thanks. I knew I was forgetting something. It just didn't look right.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?