What is the total variation of sin(x) on [a,b]?

In summary: Indeed, that is what I was referring to. You can easily see it heuristically from:\text{Var}_a^b(f) =\text{sup} \sum |f(x_{j+1}) - f(x_j)|= \text{sup} \sum \left|\frac{f(x_{j+1}) - f(x_j)}{x_{j+1} - x_j}\right|\Delta x_j = \int_a^b |f'(x)|dxWhile perhaps not a completely rigorous proof, it definitely gives an indication of where this formula comes from.
Ainlaen

Homework Statement

For a given function ##g:[a,b]→ℝ, 0 < a < b##, compute its total variation [itex]
\underset{[a,b]}{\mathrm{Var}}
(g)[/itex] where ##g(x) = \sin(x), x\in[a,b].##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that between odd multiples of ##\frac{\pi}{2}##, ##\sin(x)## is monotone, so the interval ##[a,b]## needs to be broken up accordingly. If ##a## and ##b## are both in the same monotone interval, we simply have ##\sin(b)-\sin(a)##. If they're split over a turn, it becomes ##|1-\sin(a)| + |\sin(b)-1|##. I've so far been unable to come up with a closed form way of describing that for arbitrary ##a## and ##b## stretching over an area greater than ##\pi##, though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please define the variation. Besides its formal definition, is there an easier way to compute the variation for special (differentiable) functions?

micromass said:
Please define the variation. Besides its formal definition, is there an easier way to compute the variation for special (differentiable) functions?
##\underset{[a,b]}{\text{Var}}(g) = \sup\{v(g,P):P\text{ is a partition of }[a,b]\}## and ##v(g,P)=\sum_{i=1}^n|g(x_i)-g(x_{i-1})|, P=\{x_0,x_1,...,x_n\}##
I'm aware of no special rules for finding variation aside from when a function is monotonic. In that case, ##\underset{[a,b]}{\mathrm{Var}}(g) = |g(b)-g(a)|##

Ainlaen said:
##\underset{[a,b]}{\text{Var}}(g) = \sup\{v(g,P):P\text{ is a partition of }[a,b]\}## and ##v(g,P)=\sum_{i=1}^n|g(x_i)-g(x_{i-1})|, P=\{x_1,x_2,...,x_n\}##
I'm aware of no special rules for finding variation aside from when a function is monotonic. In that case, ##\underset{[a,b]}{\mathrm{Var}}(g) = |g(b)-g(a)|##

Did you not see how to compute the variation using an integral?

micromass said:
Did you not see how to compute the variation using an integral?
I'm not aware of any way to compute the variation using an integral. ##\int_a^b|\sin(x)|dx## gives the correct answers for multiples of ##\frac{\pi}{2}## but not for say ##\frac{3\pi}{4}## to ##\frac{5\pi}{4}##.

Ainlaen said:
I'm not aware of any way to compute the variation using an integral. ##\int_a^b|\sin(x)|dx## gives the correct answers for multiples of ##\frac{\pi}{2}## but not for say ##\frac{3\pi}{4}## to ##\frac{5\pi}{4}##.

On line I have seen expressions like
[tex] \text{Var}_{[a,b]}(f) = \int_a^b |f'(x)| \, dx,[/tex]
at least for functions that are in ##C^1([a,b])##. In your case that would reduce to
[tex] \int_a^b |\cos(x)| \, dx [/tex]
Does that give you correct results?

Ray Vickson said:
at least for functions that are in ##C^1([a,b])##. In your case that would reduce to

Indeed, that is what I was referring to. You can easily see it heuristically from:

[tex]\text{Var}_a^b(f) =\text{sup} \sum |f(x_{j+1}) - f(x_j)|= \text{sup} \sum \left|\frac{f(x_{j+1}) - f(x_j)}{x_{j+1} - x_j}\right|\Delta x_j = \int_a^b |f'(x)|dx[/tex]

While perhaps not a completely rigorous proof, it definitely gives an indication of where this formula comes from.

Ray Vickson said:
I was completely unaware of that. It seems to work perfectly, thank you.

1. What is the definition of total variation?

The total variation of a function is a measure of how much the function changes over a given interval. It is calculated by taking the sum of the absolute values of the differences between consecutive points on the function.

2. How is total variation related to the concept of variation?

The concept of variation refers to the amount of change or fluctuation in a given quantity. Total variation is a specific measure of variation that is used to quantify the change in a function over a specific interval.

3. What is the formula for calculating total variation?

The formula for calculating total variation of a function f(x) on an interval [a,b] is:
TV(f) = ∫ab |f'(x)| dx
where f'(x) represents the derivative of the function f(x).

4. How does the value of total variation change for different functions?

The value of total variation can vary greatly depending on the function. For example, a constant function would have a total variation of 0, while a highly oscillating function would have a larger total variation.

5. What is the significance of calculating total variation?

Calculating total variation allows us to quantify the amount of change in a function over a specific interval. This can be useful in analyzing the behavior of a function, as well as in applications such as signal processing and data analysis.