1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the total variation of sin(x) on [a,b]?

1. Apr 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a given function ##g:[a,b]→ℝ, 0 < a < b##, compute its total variation [itex]
    \underset{[a,b]}{\mathrm{Var}}
    (g)[/itex] where ##g(x) = \sin(x), x\in[a,b].##
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that between odd multiples of ##\frac{\pi}{2}##, ##\sin(x)## is monotone, so the interval ##[a,b]## needs to be broken up accordingly. If ##a## and ##b## are both in the same monotone interval, we simply have ##\sin(b)-\sin(a)##. If they're split over a turn, it becomes ##|1-\sin(a)| + |\sin(b)-1|##. I've so far been unable to come up with a closed form way of describing that for arbitrary ##a## and ##b## stretching over an area greater than ##\pi##, though.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Please define the variation. Besides its formal definition, is there an easier way to compute the variation for special (differentiable) functions?

4. Apr 13, 2016 #3
    ##\underset{[a,b]}{\text{Var}}(g) = \sup\{v(g,P):P\text{ is a partition of }[a,b]\}## and ##v(g,P)=\sum_{i=1}^n|g(x_i)-g(x_{i-1})|, P=\{x_0,x_1,...,x_n\}##
    I'm aware of no special rules for finding variation aside from when a function is monotonic. In that case, ##\underset{[a,b]}{\mathrm{Var}}(g) = |g(b)-g(a)|##

5. Apr 13, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Did you not see how to compute the variation using an integral?

6. Apr 13, 2016 #5
    I'm not aware of any way to compute the variation using an integral. ##\int_a^b|\sin(x)|dx## gives the correct answers for multiples of ##\frac{\pi}{2}## but not for say ##\frac{3\pi}{4}## to ##\frac{5\pi}{4}##.

7. Apr 13, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

On line I have seen expressions like
    [tex] \text{Var}_{[a,b]}(f) = \int_a^b |f'(x)| \, dx,[/tex]
    at least for functions that are in ##C^1([a,b])##. In your case that would reduce to
    [tex] \int_a^b |\cos(x)| \, dx [/tex]
    Does that give you correct results?

8. Apr 13, 2016 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Indeed, that is what I was refering to. You can easily see it heuristically from:

[tex]\text{Var}_a^b(f) =\text{sup} \sum |f(x_{j+1}) - f(x_j)|= \text{sup} \sum \left|\frac{f(x_{j+1}) - f(x_j)}{x_{j+1} - x_j}\right|\Delta x_j = \int_a^b |f'(x)|dx[/tex]

While perhaps not a completely rigorous proof, it definitely gives an indication of where this formula comes from.

9. Apr 13, 2016 #8
    I was completely unaware of that. It seems to work perfectly, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted