What is the underlying phenomenon of waves?

In summary: Planck's law states that energy is radiated away in waves. This law can be used to calculate the energy of an oscillating system.The energy of an oscillating system is proportional to the square of the amplitude of the wave.In summary, heat diffusion is caused by randomly moving particles. There is a connection between the diffusion equation and the statistical motion of particles. Waves are similar to heat diffusion in that there is a connection between the diffusion equation and the statistical motion of particles.
accdd
Heat diffusion is caused by randomly moving particles. So there is a connection between the diffusion equation and the statistical motion of particles. Is there something similar for waves?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
accdd said:
Heat diffusion is caused by randomly moving particles. So there is a connection between the diffusion equation and the statistical motion of particles. Is there something similar for waves?
You have Planck's law? Apologies this is level I so my ref was probably not very useful

Likes accdd
I changed the level to B, so I can understand

pinball1970
Sorry, maybe I misunderstood your message because I am using a translator.

Do you have an advanced level explanation? If yes please write it down, I will try to understand. Thank you.

Likes pinball1970
Particles in a matter wave (like sound wave, water wave) do not move completely randomly, rather they do ordered motion according to the wave motion. Clearly we can see that in a water wave.

Likes pinball1970 and accdd
What I mean is: is it possible to do something like this: "" -min 3- with waves?

accdd said:
What kind of waves? One could discuss electromagnetic waves, or mechanical waves, and even with mechanical, we can discuss longitudinal waves, shear waves, surface waves, all of which depend on the media through which the waves propagate, the physcial (density) and mechanical (elastic) properties of that media. It's reflects the propagation or dispersion of momentum and energy from the excitation, a thermal pulse, a mechanical impulse, or a more sustained excitation, e.g., wind on the surface of water (or gas on a liquid). We could discuss acoustical sound waves, or ultrasonic waves, or shock waves, the latter being very complicated.

Some general mathematics of waves can be found here.
https://phys.libretexts.org/Bookshe...d_Oscillations_and_Waves_(OpenStax)/16:_Waves

A more focused discussion of surface waves might involve for example, the Korteweg–De Vries (KdV) equation, a mathematical model of waves on shallow water surfaces.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korteweg–De_Vries_equation

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, Delta2 and accdd
accdd said:
What I mean is: is it possible to do something like this: "" -min 3- with waves?

Individual particles would still be moving randomly on a local basis, but you would have to add in some sort of forcing function to take care of the bulk movement as an ensemble.
So it seems particle interactions, which the video guy ( first time I have seen what he looks like ) ignores for the random walk., would have to be taken into account.

Astronuc.
The simplest wave equation is enough for me.

In classical physics waves require motions of substances, e.g. motion pattern of soils in different places for earthquake, sea water molecules for tsunami, air gas molecules for sound waves. Can you imagine waves without these substances motions ? ( QM waves including EM waves have another foundation.)

Likes Delta2
anuttarasammyak said:
In classical physics waves require motions of substances, e.g. motion pattern of soils in different places for earthquake, sea water molecules for tsunami, air gas molecules for sound waves. Can you imagine waves without these substances motions ? ( QM waves including EM waves have another foundation.)
Electromagnetic waves are classical waves. There is nothing quantum about them until you want to quantize the EM field.

Likes malawi_glenn, Delta2 and anuttarasammyak
In context of OP question, I should have said that EM waves as well as probability amplitude in QM have no substances or media mechanical motion of which correspond to the waves.

Likes Delta2

1. What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance or oscillation that travels through a medium, transferring energy from one point to another without permanently displacing the medium itself. Examples of waves include sound waves, light waves, and water waves.

2. What is the underlying phenomenon of waves?

The underlying phenomenon of waves is the transfer of energy through a medium. This can occur through various mechanisms, such as compression and rarefaction for sound waves, or oscillations of electric and magnetic fields for electromagnetic waves.

3. How do waves behave?

Waves behave in a predictable manner, following mathematical equations that describe their amplitude, frequency, wavelength, and speed. They can reflect, refract, diffract, and interfere with each other, depending on the properties of the medium they are traveling through.

4. What is the relationship between waves and particles?

Waves and particles are two different ways of describing the behavior of matter and energy. In some cases, particles can exhibit wave-like behavior, known as wave-particle duality. This is observed in phenomena such as diffraction and interference of particles.

5. How are waves measured and studied?

Waves are measured and studied using various tools and techniques, depending on the type of wave. For example, sound waves can be measured using a microphone and analyzed with a spectrum analyzer, while light waves can be measured using a spectrometer. Mathematical models and experiments are also used to study the properties and behavior of waves.