Finding the Upward Velocity of a Long Jumper's Flight Phase

• Thread starter bionut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation discusses a long jumper's flight phase and the calculation of their upward velocity and angle of take off. It is mentioned that the question may not have enough information to be solved and that the jumper's forward velocity is not the same as their total velocity. The correct method for solving the problem is discussed and the final answer for the jumper's upward velocity is determined to be 3.13 m/s. The conversation also addresses the calculation of the angle of take off, with the correct value being 21.6 degrees instead of 3 degrees. The importance of consistent vector usage is emphasized.
bionut

Homework Statement

A long jumper rises 0.5 meters during the flight phase of his jump. His forward velocity is 8 ms. What is the upward velocity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Vv=Vsin[itex]\vartheta[/itex]

So [itex]\vartheta[/itex] is the unkown

Okay, I did a skectch to work out basic trig, with 8m/s as my H and 0.5m as my 0
using sin[itex]\vartheta[/itex]=o/h, =0.5/8 = 3

Then VV=8Sin3 = 0.38 m/s (which is wrong, but where did I go wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org

bionut said:
A long jumper rises 0.5 meters during the flight phase of his jump. His forward velocity is 8 ms. What is the upward velocity?

Is this the exact wording ? If it is then I don't think you have enough info to solve it.

bionut said:
Vv=Vsinϑ

So ϑ is the unkown

Okay, I did a skectch to work out basic trig, with 8m/s as my H and 0.5m as my 0
using sinϑ=o/h, =0.5/8 = 3

Then VV=8Sin3 = 0.38 m/s (which is wrong, but where did I go wrong??
This does not make sense. You try to find an angle between a velocity and distance when you need an angle between velocities. you also assume forward velocity to be the total velocity not just the vertical component.

What is preventing you from using one of the standard kinematic equations? Hint: you know vy, ay, y, and y0.

Hi, yea the exact words are "A long jumper rises 0.5 meters during the flight phase of his jump. His forward velocity is 8 ms. What is the upward velocity? " I assumed because its asking for upward velocity = Vertical component which is Vsin(theata) so Theta is the unknown?

The next questions after that asks "A long jumper rises 0.5 meters during the flight phase of his jump. His forward velocity is 8 ms. What is the angle of take off?"

So beacuse off this I assume I have the wrong idea regarding the first part; hence I need to not find the angle to calculate the upward velocity... if so I am confused...

oh thanks, so if I use 0=Vi^2 + 2ad

0=Vi^2 + (2 x 9.81 X .05)
Vi^2=9.81
v=3.13

Would I be correct??

Isolate the activity in the +y direction from the activity in the +x direction. Now ignore the activity in the +x direction. What's left is the jumper is jumping up 0.5m.

v=3.13

Would I be correct??

Yes, in m/s.

Hi again... the second part to the question "A long jumper rises 0.5 meters during the flight phase of his jump. His forward velocity is 8 ms. What is the angle of take off?"

using sinϑ=o/h, =0.5/8 = 3
but it should be 21.6 ... do you know where I went wrong??

bp_psy has pointed out that your vectors are not consistent. Since you now know Vy and Vx is given, work with them. If you want to use sinϑ=o/h, then you need to compute the magnitude of the Vx + Vy combined. Or you could just run with tanϑ=o/a.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of upward velocity?

Upward velocity refers to the rate at which an object is moving upwards in a given direction. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is upward velocity calculated?

Upward velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in vertical position by the change in time. It can also be calculated by taking the derivative of the position function with respect to time.

3. What are the units of upward velocity?

The units of upward velocity are typically meters per second (m/s) in the metric system, or feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system.

4. How does upward velocity differ from speed?

Upward velocity is a specific type of velocity that only measures the rate of change in the vertical direction, while speed measures the rate of change in distance traveled regardless of direction. Upward velocity is a component of an object's overall speed if it is moving in a non-vertical direction.

5. What factors can affect upward velocity?

Upward velocity can be affected by the force of gravity, air resistance, and the initial velocity of the object. It can also be influenced by external forces such as wind or the shape of the object.