What is the Value of Fermi's Constant (GF) in SI Units?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter randa177
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Constant
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 13K views
randa177
Messages
90
Reaction score
1
what is the value of fermi's constant ( GF ) in SI units?
I tried to work it out, but it seems that I'm wrong, I got a value of: 6.5 X 10(41) J(-2)

Does it make sense?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Google calculator gives:

[tex] G_F = 4.54376275 \times 10^{14} J^{-2}[/tex]

where

[tex] \frac{G_F}{(\hbar c)^3} = 1.16637 \times 10^{-5} GeV^{-2}[/tex]

I used the following code in Google:

Code:
1.16637*10^-5 (GeV)^-2 in (Joules)^-2
 
so, you mean Gf / (h.bar X c) ^ 3 = 4.5 X 10 (14),,, [ not the Gf itself] right?
 
how to get it in cgs units,,, I don't know how to use google to convert the units!
 
If you know it in Joules, just convert Joules to ergs.
You can do it in your head if google fails you.