What is the value of the band gap in a good conductor

• Thread starter pmh118
  • Start date
sorry i moved it to correct forum i rushed in, in my panic

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
I can be completely off, but... think: what is a band gap? What is a difference between conductor, semiconductor and isolator?

The difference between conductor, semiconductor and isolator is the size of the gap the smaller the better the conductivity conducters can overlap but unfortunatly i need specific numbers of the energy gap value like Si =1.11eV but i need the value of a good conductor not a semiconductor.

Borek
Mentor
conducters can overlap

If they do, is there a gap at all?

there is no gap but there is still a value it will be a negitive value my lecture wasnt happy with my explaination of there being 0 value he wants specific numbers

I don't know what your instructor is looking for.. good conductors don't have gaps, or anything that resembles a negative gap. Semimetals can be described as having a negative gap, but they aren't usually good conductors.

Ok guys thx for all the rapid response mucha grazsia i will email my teach now and find out what he wants as it has to be handed in on monday (Arrgggh)
I will update this thread with what his replie is for those that are interested.
Thanks all PF members.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
It appears that this is a school work and should have been done in the HW/Coursework forum. Furthermore, your question is utterly vague (if you noticed, several posts here were addressing a very confusing part of your question, not addressing the possible answer).

If you are asking something as part of a school work, do that in the HW/Coursework forum. Per the rules of that forum, post the whole, complete question, not just your interpretation of the question.

Zz.