What is the value of x in the equation .4 = [20%]/[x]?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tarnix
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Algebra
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Tarnix
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



.4 = [20%]/[x]


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



This is what I tried...but I know this isn't right as I need an actual value for x.

.4 = (.2)(x^-1)
.4 / .2 = x^-1
2 = x^-1
2 = 1 / x
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're almost done. multiply both sides by x, then divide by 2.
 
[tex].4=\frac{.2}{x}[/tex]

Converting decimals to fractions ...

[tex].4=\frac{4}{10}=\frac 2 5[/tex]

[tex].2=\frac{2}{10}=\frac 1 5[/tex]

Substituting ...

[tex]\frac 2 5 = \frac{1}{5x}[/tex]
 
I don't think that is correct. If I solved Roco's equation I would get:
2/5 = 1/5x
(2/5) / (1/5) = x
2 = x

When really the solution is .5

I think you mean by substituting fractions would be...
2/5 = (1/5) / x

But thank you for trying to help :D I just don't want someone else to get confused if they look at this later.
 
Tarnix said:
I don't think that is correct. If I solved Roco's equation I would get:
2/5 = 1/5x
(2/5) / (1/5) = x
No you wouldn't, you'd get [tex]\frac{2/5}{1/5}=\frac{1}{x} \Rightarrow x=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]