What is the Velocity of the Ball After Impact?

In summary, a bullet is fired at a stationary ball which is 9 times more massive. The ball has a velocity after the impact.
GayYoda

Homework Statement

Instead of using a ballistic pendulum, a bullet with velocity u is fired at a stationary solid ball resting on a surface. If the bullet deflects at an angle of 30◦ to its original path and the ball is nine times more massive than the bullet, what is the velocity of the ball after the impact? You should assume that the ball only moves horizontally and does not bounce or lift from the surface.

Homework Equations

p=mv
KE=mv^2/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Conservation of momentum: mu=9mv_2-mv_1cos(30) => u=9v_2-v_1cos(30)
Conservation of energy: mu^2/2=mv_1^2+9mv_2^/2 => u^2=v_1^2+9v_2^2
I'm not sure how to combine these equations to get the velocity of the ball (v_2)

Physics news on Phys.org
GayYoda said:
mu=9mv_2-mv_1cos(30)
GayYoda said:
the velocity of the ball (v_2)
You seem to be assuming the direction of the departing ball is the same as the original direction of the bullet.
Momentum is a vector, so there are two directions to consider.
GayYoda said:
Conservation of energy
What grounds do you have for supposing work is conserved?

GayYoda said:
I'm not sure how to combine these equations to get the velocity of the ball (v_2)
Do you know how to solve a system of 2 equations and 2 unknowns?
Also, your solution assumes that the surface is frictionless because you do not take into account that the ball might be rolling after the collision. There is no language in the problem stating that this is the case.

kuruman said:
the ball might be rolling after the collision.
If the impact takes infinitesimal time then immediately after impact it will only be rotating infinitesimally. It will take time to transition to rolling.
(This is assuming the bullet strikes the ball in the horizontal plane of its mass centre.)

haruspex said:
Momentum is a vector, so there are two directions to consider.
Is momentum conserved in the direction perpendicular to the surface?
haruspex said:
If the impact takes infinitesimal time then immediately after impact it will only be rotating infinitesimally. It will take time to transition to rolling.
So the problem is asking for the velocity of the ball as if the surface were frictionless. OK.
haruspex said:
This is assuming the bullet strikes the ball in the horizontal plane of its mass centre.)
I guess an additional assumption would have to be that the bullet is not fired in a direction parallel to the surface.

kuruman said:
Is momentum conserved in the direction perpendicular to the surface?
Your comments have made me realize the question is ambiguous and we have made different interpretations. I took it that the deflection is in the horizontal plane. I think if it meant deflected upwards it would have said so.
kuruman said:
So the problem is asking for the velocity of the ball as if the surface were frictionless. OK.
If the deflection is horizontal then friction from the surface is irrelevant unless the coefficient is huge. If the deflection is upwards then there is a vertical component to the impulse and friction becomes important.

haruspex said:
I think if it meant deflected upwards it would have said so.
What made me think of upward deflection is the statement, "You should assume that the ball only moves horizontally and does not bounce or lift from the surface." This statement is redundant if all motion takes place in a plane parallel to the surface.

kuruman said:
What made me think of upward deflection is the statement, "You should assume that the ball only moves horizontally and does not bounce or lift from the surface." This statement is redundant if all motion takes place in a plane parallel to the surface.
True, but I still find it very odd just to write "deflected" if it meant deflected upwards. Maybe it is not a verbatim copy of the original problem.

Either way, there is insufficient information. It would certainly not be appropriate to assume conservation of work, but the coefficient of restitution need not be zero either.

1. What happens when a bullet is fired at a solid ball?

When a bullet is fired at a solid ball, the bullet will either bounce off, penetrate through, or shatter the ball depending on the materials and velocities involved. The outcome is determined by the relative hardness and densities of the bullet and ball, as well as the angle and force of impact.

2. Can a bullet be stopped by a solid ball?

Yes, it is possible for a bullet to be stopped by a solid ball. This can happen if the bullet is made of a softer material or if the ball is made of a harder material. The ball may also need to have a large enough diameter and thickness to absorb the impact and stop the bullet.

3. How does the shape of the solid ball affect the bullet's trajectory?

The shape of the solid ball can affect the bullet's trajectory by altering the surface area and angle of impact. A curved or spherical ball may redirect the bullet's path, while a flat or irregularly shaped ball may cause the bullet to ricochet in unpredictable directions.

4. What happens to the bullet's velocity when it hits a solid ball?

The bullet's velocity will decrease upon impact with a solid ball due to the transfer of kinetic energy. The amount of velocity loss depends on the mass and speed of the bullet, as well as the hardness and density of the ball.

5. Is there a difference in the outcome when a bullet is fired at a solid metal ball compared to a solid plastic ball?

Yes, there can be a difference in the outcome when a bullet is fired at a solid metal ball compared to a solid plastic ball. Metal is generally harder and denser than plastic, so a bullet may be more likely to penetrate through a plastic ball or cause it to shatter, while a metal ball may be more likely to stop the bullet or cause it to ricochet.