What is the Virial Theorem and its significance in Atomic Physics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 5K views
piareround
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
So my Atomic Physics professor today was talking about some called the "Virial theorem" in relation to Bohr Model of the H-atom, which in my 5 years of college physics I had never heard of >_<;; . It turns out that I had seen equations that use concept of the Potential "==" Kinetic Energy, I just never heard it called Virial theorem.

Since I kind of too embarassed to ask my physics professor this, does anyone know a good book about Virial Theorem and its various uses in physics? Anything that does it from the perspective of atomic physics would be helpful too.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wikipedia actually has a fairly decent article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virial_theorem

However, notice that there is not one virial theorem. We can talk of classical vs quantum, time average vs ensemble average, various different interactions and energies, etc.
 
George Collins wrote an entire book on the virial theorem, with that name, from an astronomical perspective. Classical descriptions of atoms would then be just a (very) small analog of a whole star.
 
This's theorem said that system in which the forces are inversely proportional to the square of the distance can not be in a state of stable equilibrium
 
Zaharov said:
This's theorem said that system in which the forces are inversely proportional to the square of the distance can not be in a state of stable equilibrium

I think you mean Earnshaw's Theorem?
 
alxm said:
I think you mean Earnshaw's Theorem?
this general conclusion virial theorem
KITTEL "Mechanics"
 
The virial theorem is more general than something that is true of inverse-square forces.