What is the wave speed and string velocity for y(x,t) = 3e^-(2x-4t)^2?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Faux Carnival
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



y(x,t) = 3e-(2x-4t)^2

Consider the wave function which represents a transverse pulse that travels on a string along the horizontal x-axis.

a) Find the wave speed
b) Find the velocity of the string at x=0 as a function of time

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



I think, for b) I should take the derivative of the original wave function with respect to t.
Easy if that's the case.

I have no idea about part a.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, thanks merry. I completely forgot about the linear wave equation.

And is my solution for part b correct? (Taking the derivative of the function with respect to time to find the string velocity function)
 
I would say so. At x = 0 that wave function gives Y position as a function of time, so its time derivative would be the rate of change of the Y position.