What is the work done by a tow truck pulling a car 1 km?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Calpalned
Messages
297
Reaction score
6

Homework Statement


A tow truck drags a stalled car along a road. The chain makes an angle of 30° with the road and the tension in the chain is 1500 N. How much work is done by the truck in pulling the car 1 km?

Homework Equations


Work = Force * distance

The Attempt at a Solution


By drawing a free body diagram, I learn that the horizontal component of tension is 1500 * cos(30), which is apprx 1300 N. I then multiply by 1000 meters to get 1.3 million joules. Is this correct? Is joules always measured in meters or should I have multiplied by 1 instead? Thank You
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I put this question in math because it's from my Multivariate Calculus Late Transcendentalist book.
 
... Is joules always measured in meters or should I have multiplied by 1 instead? Thank You[/QUOTE]

##1 \text{Joule} =1 \text{N}\cdot\text{m }, ## so Joules are not in units of meters.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 299
Calpalned said:

Homework Statement


A tow truck drags a stalled car along a road. The chain makes an angle of 30° with the road and the tension in the chain is 1500 N. How much work is done by the truck in pulling the car 1 km?

Homework Equations


Work = Force * distance

The Attempt at a Solution


By drawing a free body diagram, I learn that the horizontal component of tension is 1500 * cos(30), which is apprx 1300 N. I then multiply by 1000 meters to get 1.3 million joules. Is this correct? Is joules always measured in meters or should I have multiplied by 1 instead? Thank You
  • Looks right. 1 J = 1 N m