The 1100 kg mass of a car includes four tires

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
hitemup
Messages
81
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



The 1100 kg mass of a car includes four tires, each of mass (including wheels) 35 kg and diameter 0.80 m. Assume each tire and wheel combination acts as a solid cylinder.
If the car is initially at rest and is then pulled by a tow truck with a force of 1500 N, what is the acceleration of the car?

Homework Equations


[/B]
F = ma
T = I*alpha
I = 1/2*m*r^2

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
It is apparent that doing acc = 1500/1100 leads to a wrong result. We must consider the tires and their accelerations. But I don't know how I can combine "ma" with "I*alpha" in the same equation, to solve for "a".
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hitemup said:
diameter 0.80 m
This bit of information, and the following bit
hitemup said:
T = I*alpha
if put together correctly should help you.
 
Bystander said:
This bit of information, and the following bit

if put together correctly should help you.

Yes the right hand side of that equation(T = I*alpha) is known, but I don't think the left side can be calculated simply by F*r. Is it the whole force that contributes to torque of a tire?
 
hitemup said:
whole force that contributes to torque of a tire?
The angular moment of inertia resists the acceleration.
 
Have you done a free body diagram on the car? How is the rate of rotation of the tires related to the linear speed of the car? Have you at least included the mass of the tires in the overall mass m of the car when applying F = ma.

Chet
 
Chestermiller said:
Have you done a free body diagram on the car? Is the ground exerting a force on the car? How is the rate of rotation of the tires related to the linear speed of the car? Have you at least included the mass of the tires in the overall mass m of the car when applying F = ma.

Chet