What is the Work Involved in Lifting and Moving a Box with a Crane?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Adrian379
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Crane Kinematics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Adrian379
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known
G=8400N
h=35m
d=10m
g=10m/s^2

A crane elevate a box with G=8400N at h=35. After this, the box is moved horizontal on distance 10m. No friction.

Work = ?
ps. Sorry for bad English.

Homework Equations


I think that W=W1 ( work on elevating ) + W2 ( work on moving ).
W1=F1*h and W2=F2*d

In the first I must tu find F1.
F=F1-G ==> F1=G-F=G-ma

Now, F2:
F=F2==> F2=m*a.

W=F1+F2=G-ma+m*a.

But I don't know a...

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
I know I am bad but I want to learn. What can I do to solve this exercice ? Thank you very much !
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Adrian, :welcome:

Assume the lifting goes very slowly. So the only force that is needed for that is ##mg## = G . Keep the direction of the force in mind.
(why do I say that?).
 
Because F = -G ? Or.. F is a little bit stronger that G to lift ?

8bz1CVp.png
 
Last edited:
Adrian379 said:
Because F = -G ?
That is what is meant, yes.